Miles Per Gallon?

Ok, This is an age old question, that is probably more prevalent today than ever before. How can I get my Chevy Silverado 4.3 V6 to squeeze out some more miles per gallon? Any,add-ons, tricks or suggestions, would be appreciated.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
N1RZB

Drive like you had a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

Yes, buy a honda.

Reply to
Adair Winter

Yeah, get a Silverado with a V-8. They actually have better gas mileage. I went from the 1996 4.3 @ 13-14MPG to an 05 5.3 @ 17MPG

Reply to
Eightupman

exhaust, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, headers etc etc

Reply to
Snowboard3r

today

For starters, smooth treaded skinny tires running 50 PSI or better and fresh fliuds/lubes in the engine, tranny and axle (axles and Tcase if it is a 4x4). How you use your foot on the throttle is a big role too.

Reply to
SnoMan

Nothing to brag about because 17 mpg is not big thing with gas $3/gallon and it will not get close to that in true stop and go traffic with idling because the bigger the engine, the more fuel it uses idling in traffic.

Reply to
SnoMan

Magnets!!

Reply to
Battleax

Pop Mechanics just had an article on "gadgets" to improve MPG.

Bottom line (including magnets) was that none of the gadgets provided any significant boost in mileage. Some actually decreased mileage!

Reply to
HPGrn

Swap in a 6.5 turbo-diesel for 22 mpg (we get that on our

4x4 Tahoe) or better mileage if it's a 2WD.

better gas mileage. I

prevalent today

V6 to squeeze out

suggestions, would be

Reply to
Franko

Replace your stock airbox with an intake, helped me with my Trailblazer.

Reply to
Porfirio Reyes

I heard about guy that installed so many of those gas saving devices, ...... every 100 miles he had to stop and let out some gas!!

Frank

Reply to
Frank S.

On a serious note, I found use of the cruise control seems to save gas on long rides. It keeps you from speed variation Frank

Reply to
Frank S.

Actually I find I get a bit better without it in hilly areas.

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Eightupman

prevalent

squeeze

suggestions, would

seems to save

areas.

standards

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Reportabuse:

Franko

"N1RZB" wrote in news:L_sTe.8997$rh.6541@trndny03:

Howdy Dave Slow Down. Driving at 55 uses 47% less power than 75. Driving at 50 uses 56% less power than 75. Driving at 55 uses 16% less than 60. Try doing the speed limit, instead of five or ten over. At any speed over what you would do in a parking lot, frontal area wind drag is the major force that your engine is tring to overcome. Drive train loss increases linearly, like 5, 10, 15, 20. While wind drag increases exponentially, like 10, 40, 90, 160, 250, 360.

Reply to
Throckmorton P. Ruddygore

Hi Dave,

One of the first things I buy when I get a new truck is a performance air filter, like the ones from K&N and Airaid. I don't have any figures to give you, never took the time to figure it out; but I can tell you these help. Especially on highway trips. I have an Airaid filter in my '03 Envoy and over the past two years I've noticed I can go a little longer between fill ups, depending on how much driving I do. Don't know if you have a tonneau cover for your Silverado, I read some where that one helps. I also read some where that you shouldn't ride around with your tailgate down. I think the article said with the gate up the wind creates down force in the bed thus keeping the rear end stable. Minimal gains, but helps. I wish I could remember where I saw that article... Keep your truck clean and waxed, less resistance. Change your oil on a regular basis. Do not drive highway speeds with your windows down, fouls up the aerodynamics. Adjust your driving habits. That's all I can think of off hand.

HTH

Rogue

Reply to
Rogue

Back again Dave. Found the article about the tailgate:

One other tip I forgot, keep your tires at the proper inflation.

Rogue

Reply to
Rogue

squeeze