Rated miles per gallon is total BS!

I just read a post and several replies about poor gas mileage in a Neon. I have a '01 PT Cruiser with 30,000 miles on it. I just did the "recommended

30,000 miles spark plug replacement". I still feel lucky if once in 50 fill ups I get 17 mpg. 4 cylinder, auto, sticker rated at 22/27 mpg. Bullshit!!! I never came close to achieving these mile per gallons.
Reply to
TOM KAN PA

You must be doing something wrong. I too have an 01 automatic Limited; use

5W-20 Mobil 1, pump the tires to 36 and always get at least 17.5 mpg. Sometimes on the interstate, in warm weather, with a tail wind and a slight decline, I can manage 22.5. My 3.8 04 mini-van does better. I think Chrysler left off the good parts.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

The wife and I almost always do *better* than EPA rated.

1997 Neon Sport...rated 24/34, the wife got 28/36 1997 Grand Caravan 3.3 V6...rated 18/24, I get 18/27, wife gets 18/24 2000 Neon SE...rating unsure, daughter gets average 31 (mixed) 2003 Stratus SE 2.7 V6...rated 20/28, Wife gets 25/29 2004 Sebring LXi 2.7 V6...rated 20/28, I get 24/31

I did have a 2003 Chevy Malibu that I hated...so I got rid of it last year after 9-months. It had a 3.1 V6 rated at 20/29, I got 19/32 (I have no idea why the city/highway mileage was so far apart in real world numbers...but was consistently so).

I don't know what my son gets on his 1996 Dakota SE V8 extended cab.

In all cases, we log the mileage on every gas receipt and calculate MPG. So we have several years of history on the older vehicles. The mileage remains about the same over time (so far)...but is a little lower city mileage in the winter.

If you _always_ do worse, I would look at driving habits/conditions Quick/abrupt starts? On the throttle up to a stop light or intersection then hard on the brakes, (vs. coasting up to it)? Mountain terrain in your area. Unusually cold weather conditions. Also, tire pressure? Roof rack (apparently can have up to a 2MPG difference in highway mileage)? Wrong viscosity oil?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I'm thinkng more along the lines of something wrong with the vehicle - like a bad O2 sensor, throttle body needs cleaning, or something. I've seen mpg discussions on various car forums in which everyone's getting reasonable numbers, but there's always a couple of credible people claiming that they get much lower with reasonable highway driving in essentially the same vehicle - for example, on the 300M forum, most people will say they get low, mid, or high 20's in normal (i.e., non-spirited) driving, but there's always a few who get 16 or 17. I've gotta think something's not right with the engine controls - usually something simple - once you know what it is.

Bill Putney

Hmm, must be problem with your car - tire inflation, driving habits ... etc.

I have an '01, manual, with 41,000 miles on it. In town I get 20-23 depending on AC use and traffic. On the highway I get 26-30, depending on conditions and driving speed. This is in the Las Vegas area where it gets fairly hot in the summer. Keep tire pressure at 36 PSI, use Pennzoil 5w-30, and had plugs changed at 30k as well. Driving technique and tire pressure make a difference in my experience. I the highway I do at times get better than EPA estimates.

Reply to
do not spam

While the EPA ratings don't have a really strong correlation with reality, Something Is Wrong with that mileage. If your commute is more than a mile, you ought to be seeing much better than that...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

another keyboard replies............

2001 5 speed cranberry PT just turned 41K

my wife who drives it more gently than I do got on a .5 tank mainly highway (local OR 34) 30.24. We (both driving it) average in mixed usage 26 to 27 MPG. TO defend this statement........ONE HIGHWAY TRAFFIC LIGHT after 16 miles, north (no stops) ONE HIGHWAY TRAFFIC LIGHT after 2 miles, south, then east for 62 miles with no light or stops ONE HIGHWAY TRAFFIC LIGHT after 2 miles, south and then no lights for about 38 miles NO stops or lights for about .5 west, then wet tires......... I live on the beach in Oregon just north of Waldport

Had PLUGS and WIRES changed under warranty.........and the mileage is now back to the above numbers

Howard

Reply to
howard

There are a long line of reports posted on the PT web sites that the 5 speed does much much better in this regard. 18 in town and about 21 on the highway are common for the automatic and that's what I get. But a few PT's out there seem to be blessed with more power and economy. Must be some Mexican magic at work

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan with 3.3. I consistently get 16 litres/100 km , which is about 15mpg. This is lower that the advertized numbers. I thonk the sticker says around 13-14lt/100km for city. I wonder after reading this post I should ask the dealer to check something. Appreciate any comment with similar car owners Thanks

"recommended

Reply to
cosza

"TOM KAN PA" wrote

My 98 Grand Voyager 3.3 is rated at 21mpg city and 32 mpg highway Canadian (Imperial). On mostly country road and suburban driving I get around 26-27 mpg Imperial (about 22 U.S.). I don't hot-rod but I don't hold up traffic either. There seems to be something wrong with either your driving habits or the condition of your vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Gower

what is the weight for your 98 van. I thing my generation is heavier , around 4000 lbs

Reply to
cosza

You say nothing about how its driven. If it never gets out of the city and never gets above 35 mph between red lights or stops in highway traffic jams, consider yourself lucky to get 17 mpg. If this is highway mileage, fix whatever is broken and causing such poor performance.

The last 3 new cars purchased in my extended family (92 Dakota, 93 Eagle Vision, 2001 Durango) all EXCEED the EPA estimates in true highway driving, and match them in combined driving.

Reply to
Steve

My '96 T&C LXi 3.8 is rated at 17 city and 24 hwy and currently averages around

15 city and 22 hwy (87 octane). Of course I do have to use the "California Reformulated" fuel six months of the year, the van does have 184,000 miles on it and the city driving does consist of Los Angeles city/freeway driving so I really can't complain. My wife averages 16.2 (89 octane) after a year and 21,000 miles on the Pacific AWD and we haven't averaged hwy driving yet. The Pacifica is rated at 17 city and 22 hwy.

I should point out (especially for TOM KAN PA) that even though these two vehicles are rated as stated above the sticker for the T&C says the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 14/20 city and 20/28 hwy. The sticker for the Pacifica says 14/20 city and 18/26 hwy. And both stickers indicate "actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition".

RP

Reply to
RPhillips47

Interesting, I almost always get close to the highway mileage on cars I own and have owned in the past. A lot depends on your driving habits.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I believe about 3850, or almost the same.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Why would you calculate your mileage in Imperial miles per gallon when your fuel is measured in liters, and distances in kms?

Reply to
Bill 2

Because most Canadians still *think* in cups, tablespoons, inches, feet, miles and gallons (Imperial ones, the only type ever used up here) despite everything being sold and marked metrically.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It is bullshit you have to have a very light foot to get the epa mpg. But then you have some asshole honking at you because you not moving fast enuff.

Reply to
And Here I Die

I had a Neon like that. I never can get the rated mpg in my Chryslers, but I've always gotten +2mpg in GM products.

Reply to
Threeducks

Had a Caravan (2.6L) once that got pitiful mileage on Amoco gasoline, but got at or above rated MPG with other fuels. Maybe try switching brands.

Reply to
PC Medic