Pillar gauge pods for 87-earlier trucks??? Anyone?

Hi... I posted about this before, but got no replies.

Surely, someone has to make this product. Why wouldn't they? As common as 73-91 Blazers and Suburbans are, and 73-87 pickups, you'd think surely someone has wanted to add gauges and mount them on the pillar.

Anyway, I want to get such a thing, but can't find one for the life of me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

~jp

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

I think the pillar is too thin? Anyway go here...

there is a thread there somewhere on it (1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message).

Reply to
Slap

Googled it rotten Jon and couldn't find anything either, that is odd. I wonder if you can find something close enough from autometer and "make" it fit? Maybe with some heat gun persuasion. Do you have any room in the dash for it? I'm putting gauges in my 89 pickup right now and I took out the little cd tray above the a/c controls and drilled out a piece of smoked plexi to mount three 2 1/16" gauges.... I guess you could always fiberglass your own pillar one too but that's a whole lot of work.

Slap wrote:

Reply to
89GMC

Well, fabricating something isn't out of the question, and it may be the only option.

Right now, the only reasonable way I could imagine doing it would involve buying a new piece of the plastic, stock interior trim for the pillar. I believe only Silverado's had it from the factory, but I could be wrong. I was lucky I got door panels with my "Custom Deluxe".

I'd take the stock piece of trim and cut sections out of the middle, then "weld" in those single pillar pods, which are also made of plastic, using something I saw for welding plastic.

Then I'd smooth it out as best I can using sandpaper, and a little plastic body filler if needed.

Finally, I'd shoot it with a couple of coats of paint to make it look right.

It would produce the desired results, but would otherwise be a pain in the ass, and not really worth it if you could actually buy it.

Still, the idea that something so readily available for so many cars and later model trucks isn't available for such a common series of vehicles, really drives me nuts.

I may email Autometer directly and see what they say. Maybe I'll try to raise some support for us 73-87 dewds trying to get equal representation in the aftermarket ;-)

~jp

89GMC wrote:
Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Well Jon you didn't look up the link I suggested on the '73-'87 board so I did it for you. Here is the thread...

The 5th. post down will give you a link to a company that suggests they will build such a device for any vehicle as long as 30 orders are received. I think the folks on the '73-'87 board have tried them with no response. Like I say I think the posts are too small to fit the pods.

Anyway read the thread and join the group... much info there on your truck.

-- Dave

Reply to
Slap

Actually Dave, I did... I just hadn't got around to responding yet to your post. I'm at work and it got busy for a little bit there.

The links from "bigblock73" are very useful and give me a lot of good ideas.

Thanks,

~jp

Slap wrote:

Reply to