Order Jeep -> Lose Rebate??

I was all set and ready to ORDER a weirdly configured Wrangler (Anti Lock Brakes and Dual Top) when one of the dealers told me that if I order it and they pull the $1500 rebate before its delivered then I'm SOL.

True? If so then has anyone gotten language added to their contract that says "If the rebate increases, I get the better price. If the rebate is taken away then I have the option of getting my $500 deposit back or taking the higher price."

I was about to go order it tomrrow dammit!!

Reply to
Valued User

On 05 Dec 2003 07:36 AM, Valued User posted the following:

That sounds like a line of bullshit to me. Basically they are saying that they reserve the right to change the price on you after you have committed to the order. I would go elsewhere.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

"Valued User" wrote

Very true. The rebates/deals are effective at the time the vehicle is delivered to the customer. I had this same situation on my new truck earlier this year. As it turns out, I got a better deal by waiting but it was a gamble. A call to the mfg marketing department will sometimes net you an answer to the future incentives.

Reply to
-jc

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Agreed. You have the ultimate power up untill you sign on the dotted line.

Reply to
Joe

Del:

The rebate applies to vehicles at the time of delivery only, so the rebate may or may not be available at the time an ordered vehicle arrives.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

You can add just about any language to any contract that you want, as long as both parties agree to it and sign off on it.

For example, on factory ordered vehicles I always hand-write into the contract that my entire deposit will be refunded if the vehicle does not arrive equipped as ordered by a certain date. Then I have the sales manager sign off on the contract and initial the hand written area.

You could hand write into the contract (as long as the dealer agrees) that you have the option of canceling the order and getting a full refund on your deposit if the rebate is not available at the time the vehicle arrives.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

On 05 Dec 2003 12:10 PM, mabar posted the following:

I guess if the original poster is happy doing business that way, but I wouldn't agree to those terms.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

I went through the same thing in january, but I still got the rebate. I didn't have anything written into the contract. But the dealer is correct.

The problem being, the vehicle doesn't actually "exist" until a VIN is generated at the factory, which basically means it's about to be built that day on the line. So there is no "actual" vehicle to apply the rebate to. It's not even counted in the dealers inventory until it is delivered to them, hence, no vehicle to apply a rebate to.

I only had to wait 12 days for mine to be built and delivered, so i wasn't too worried about losing any incentives. BUT it usually takes a lot longer, about 4 to 6 weeks. Then again, I'm only 35 minutes from toledo.

I got my sport with everything, even the D44, but no antilock of course. They would have had no problem getting rid of it if I backed out. No deposit was required from me. I just told him what I wanted, then he called me when it came in. real simple and easy.

Reply to
Matt

I would go to the sales guy and say I wanted that term in the contract.

So far the contract is all one sided. You are allowed to add your side to it in writing.

I worked for a car lot once and we were allowed to add customer items like that in writing. The boss figured it was fair not to take their deposit if their financing fell through, it was good PR for him, he also could offer alternative financing too though...

He still never screwed anyone for their deposit.

Mike

Valued User wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"I only had to wait 12 days for mine to be built and delivered, so i wasn't too worried about losing any incentives. BUT it usually takes a lot longer, about 4 to 6 weeks."

Get everything in writing. Don't count on getting your Jeep in time for the rebate. You might be lucky like the guy above and get it in 12 days or the usual 4 to 6 weeks or like mine which took 3 months from time of order till delivery!

Reply to
DeepDiver

On 05 Dec 2003 02:37 PM, Matt posted the following:

I ordered my Jeep in July of '00 and it was finally delivered in the beginning of that October. It actually worked out pretty good since I was going to store it at a relative's place and pick it up in mid October during my vacation, and instead I just picked it up at the dealer but it could have seriously screwed with my plans if it had taken any longer. The problem was with an option I had ordered so switching dealers wouldn't have gotten it there any quicker.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Well I contacted the dealer that has the best local price and emailed him asking about the terms. He stated in his email that they will honor the rebate and if a better rebate comes along then they will give it to me. He said that often a better rebate will come along. That's what I wanted to hear and that's what I will have them put in the contract when I hand over my check. I'm printing out the string of emails just in case he has short-term amnesia.

Thanks, guys.

Reply to
Valued User

Exactly. You never know if they have my configuration sitting on a train waiting till the day after the rebate expires to call me and tell me its arrived so i can "take delivery" of it.

I know I know theres a certain amount of trust involved but the dealer is in business to make money.

Reply to
Valued User

That was probably an '01, right? I ordered my '00 in August 99, and was delivered in October '99. It was explained to me that the customer special orders are cut off in the spring for the current model year, and any special orders after that have to be for the next model year, although production won't start until September or so.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

On 06 Dec 2003 05:34 AM, Matt Macchiarolo posted the following:

Yeah, its an '01. It was supposed to be delivered in late august or early September at the latest, but there was some kind of issue with the ABS that delayed it. After it finally arrived I was talking to my dealer and he mentioned that he was having similar problems with several other rigs, including one which did screw up a guy's vacation since it didn't get there in time.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Yeah, I saw your other post - Hope you're having fun in the snow. Hopefully you guys will get another noreaster after you pick up your Rubi.

My parents live Well I contacted the dealer that has the best local price and emailed him asking about the terms. He stated in his email that they will honor the rebate and if a better rebate comes along then they will give it to me. He said that often a better rebate will come along. That's what I wanted to hear and that's what I will have them put in the contract when I hand over my check. I'm printing out the string of emails just in case he has short-term amnesia.

Thanks, guys.

I was all set and ready to ORDER a weirdly configured Wrangler (Anti Lock Brakes and Dual Top) when one of the dealers told me that if I order it

and

they pull the $1500 rebate before its delivered then I'm SOL.

True? If so then has anyone gotten language added to their contract that says "If the rebate increases, I get the better price. If the rebate is taken away then I have the option of getting my $500 deposit back or

taking

the higher price."

I was about to go order it tomrrow dammit!!

Reply to
Valued User

Well I went down and ordered my 04 sport with ABS. The guy said that I'll never end up paying more than what they signed for on the contract and that if they decided to jack up the price on me I would get my deposit back. I put the $500's down on my credit card so just in case I have 90 days to if there were to be a problem.

The guy also said that rebates usually never get worse so the worst that can happen is that I only get my original $1500 - but if the rebate gets better then I get the better deal.

No pushy tatics to sell me undercoating or anything - I later learned that the internet sales guys are in fleet sales. G/F that worked at a bank says fleet guys aren't as pressured as regular sales and that their commissions aren't the same as regular salespeople on the floor so they'll come out with a good price off the bat.

He showed me their order monitoring status on the computer and says I can call up whenever I want and they'll tell me where it is in the process and where it is when its on the train down here.

I'm psyched!

Reply to
Valued User

Excellent.

Just learn/remember where the fuse is for the ABS. ABS can get you into trouble off road or in the snow.

In both cases you 'want' the front tires to lock up. That makes a dam of dirt or snow in front of the tire that helps tons slowing down to a stop.

Mike

Valued User wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain