PING DOC, Marsh, Steve, Other Renowned Care Know-allot-peoples

1996 Pontiac Sunfire It's either a 2.2 or a 2.4 4 banger (too lazy to check right now) 5 speed manual transmission

Intermittent check engine light Brought it to autozoned and they said it was "crankshaft position sensor" He priced me a new one but I didn't want to pick it up at the time

My guesses: A) Faulty sensor B) Faulty wiring (causing intermittent drop out) C) Hob Goblins D) If it has t*ts or tires it's gunna be trouble (she [the brawd] now has both)

Also, local? How hard to change and or test, and what should the resistance of the sensor be?

Doc, Marsh, Steve, other esteemed mechanics? I know it isn't a truck but I trust your opinions!

~KJ the G-Monkey~

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

oh, boy

the crank position sensor is BEHIND the coil pack mounting plate, on the back of the engine

best accessed from underneath

just don't do like I did, 'change' it and find the NEW ONE laying on the bench when done............

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

You mean like chang out your tranny on a dirt drive way and find the right TC in a puddle of mud?

:-)

How did you know it was shot? I don't want to spend 24.99 - 89.95 (depends on engine) for a new sensor, replace it, and find out later it was a faulty wire. Also a guy there (customer so I took it with a

50lb bag of salt) said "oooo if your crank shaft sensor goes you'll be walking home"

What, did it take the place of the camshaft sensor or something? I'd just think it would be for engine RPM......IE if it dies the tach dies.....

G-Monkey

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Inline.........

Look at the wires. If the wires are fine, the sensor being shot is the only other thing that would trip the CPS code.

The tach runs off the ignition coil.................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

So does that mean you don't know what a "CPS" does, or does it mean the free world will end if one of the hundreds of people in this forum tell me?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Hi!

Know-a-lot person that I ain't...your sensor senses the position of the crankshaft. :-)

I *think* it works by sensing the electrical/magnetic difference that magnets going by it make. What exactly it tells the ECM or anything else I don't know.

I doubt you'll be walking home if it dies. IIRC my dad's 88 Buick (3800 V6) didn't seem to miss it apart from the SES light coming on... But I wouldn't swear to that...it has been a long time since that car moved. The fuel pump is out and I haven't had the time to get it fixed or run some new lines...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I assumed it worked like that. Just like a magneto on a 2-stroke

Like my best guess, it was something for the RPM. I loved doc ellipse saying basically I was a retard, and then leaving the meaning of this part completely blank..... If it dies she has AAA and then it can be put in. $80.00 for an electromagnet that tells the computer (ugh) that the engine is spinning is ridiculous.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

If you weren't such a disrespectful little turd I might have taken the extra few minutes to answer your goddamn question. If you had half a brain you'd do a google search for "crankshaft position sensor" and learn something for yourself. Heaven forbid you have to lift a finger to learn something for yourself.

It has nothing to do with telling the computer what the RPM's of the motor are ; it has everything to do with telling the computer WHERE the crankshaft is within a single rotation. I bet you really wanna know why don't you?

Your pal,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Hi!

Well, Doc, I'd like to know if you would be kind enough to explain it. Or tell me where some good information on it exists.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Only get what I give, you've never seemed to like me. Guess your just too smart to help me out.

~Turd~

Reply to
KJ

Hi!

Here is a dandy little link that Google brought up as the first return on 'crankshaft position sensor':

I think that explained it and clarified its function pretty well, and for a dummy like me that is saying something!

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

knowing where the crankshaft is during its revolution is helpful in that the ECM can know where the pistons are. with a CPS, the ECM has enough resolution to tell *which* cylinder is misfiring or knocking, not just that *a* cylinder is misfiring. another reason for a CPS is that it allows distributorless ignitions.

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase