power steering hose 96 suburban

I found a leak in the high pressure power steering hose. I was wondering if I somehow I need to bleed the air out of the line or do I just slap the new hose in. I have never done this so any suggestions are welcome.

Reply to
mp

---------------------------- Just change it, fill it, run the wheels back and forth a couple times and re-check. It might take a while to get all the air out so it could be noisey but will eventually quit making noise.

Reply to
Scott M

They use O-rings as seals so the O-rings can go bad and the hose be fine. A hose should (may) cost you less the $30 just be sure to get a few extra O-rings so that you can change the rings on the return line. The pump will drain on you but just refill it with trans fluid. I did the hose and O-rings on my 91 suburban (including oil) and it cost me less then $35 and took about half an hour. Refill the pump, start the truck and turn the wheel back and forth (lock to lock) a few times and you will be fine for a gas truck. If it is a diesel crank the wheel back and forth a half dozen times while putting your foot on the brakes. The power assist for the brakes on a diesel are powered by the power steering system.

mark

Reply to
rock_doctor