I can't get the wheel off!

Hello all...

Got a tire problem on my '84 Sierra. The tire has a bad sidewall and is losing air. It's not so bad that I cannot air it up and drive for short distances around the farm, but it does lose nearly all its air in an hour or two.

Tonight I jacked the truck up after removing a significant amount of rust and filth from around the jack underhood. To my amazement, it worked quite well and I got my tire iron out.

Trouble is, the !#$%^ tire and wheel won't come off! I don't know what has made the wheel nuts get so tight, but they are really on there good. Can anyone recommend a good way to get the wheel off without destroying anything?

Also, will there be a problem if I leave the truck jacked up on the grass? Will it stay if nobody touches it? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the jack will sink into the ground a little while I am having the tire replaced.

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Oops.

Get yerself' a decent 2 1/2 ton floor jack William.........................

Three ways. First way involves a "cross" type tire iron and two people. Have one hold the tire iron and the other STAND on the tire iron and jump on it. Second way involves a 1/2 drive breaker bar and a 3-4 foot cheater bar. Thrid way involves a 500+ foot pound impact wrench. You choose the method that best suits you. In any case, soaking the lugs with PB Blaster and then smacking the lugs, head on with a BFH will loosen the rust up and make it a tad easier.

Lower the vehicle, find a piece of plywood big enough for your jack, put the jack on top of the plywood and voila, no sinkage.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"