Problem hot off the press!

1985 K5 162000 miles 305CUI TH700R4 tranny (1983) NP208 T-case

The steering has developed a hard to describe problem, just a matter of 30 minutes ago. It feels like it is 'catching' on something. Like there are two pieces of plastic inside the steering column that are now rubbing against each other. The sound definitly comes from the column. Sometimes it's a pop, sometimes a screetch. It makes steering erratic, very 'unsmooth'. It has made the 'catching' noise before. However assuming for whatever reason the 'steering wheel' and the 'column' were rubbing together, I just cranked on it and it moved on out. Now no matter what I do it makes the noise.

I think it's the locking feature of the steering wheel.... when the key is in lock it keeps on turing. It used to lock, but some time ago (not tonight, but not sure when) it stopped locking.

Any help? I'd hate to have to take the steering wheel off - I saw a friend take 2 days and he had done it before (didn't have the tools anymore...)

~KJ~

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

So, how do you like your bad news?

Reply to
John Alt

With estimated cost, parts availability, time to do the job, and a nice warm shop. Maybe a friend....

But I have also decided as long as it isn't going to just lock up on me, I can live with it. It's worst when parking "screeeeeeEEEEEeeeeEEeEEEeeeeeEEEEeEEEEEtch"

-The Lonely Grease Monkey

1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor

"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Have you considered spraying a little WD40 into the key/locking mechanism?

Reply to
High Sierra

If the ignition lock is faulty and catching on something I'd be very worried about a lock-up. B

Reply to
Battleax

WD40 isn't the best thing to spray into a lock/key cylinder. It can cause more harm than good.

--

---------------------------------------------------------------- Ed Murray Certified Locksmith My Enthusiast's Website:

Crooked-Ridez

I disagree. WD40 is great for clearing dirt from places you can't get to otherwise.

H.S.

Reply to
High Sierra

Not sure how Chevrolet does their horns. I had a similar sound in a 1974 Toyota and I could not find it. eventually the Hornspring mechanism broke and I had to unplug the horn until I could get parts.

lomax

Reply to
Clyde Lomax

Well lock smith it is the locking mechanism, what do I do to fix it? Should I just rip it out or what?

~TLGM

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

I took the steering wheel off tonight. For those who don't know there is metal plate with say 12 slots on the edge, and a pin attached to the locking mechanism engages these slots and locks the steering wheel. Well this pin appears to ride in some kind of sleeve, and it appears that this sleeve slid it's way up and got mashed over, and each time a slot in the plate when over it took off a little metal and made a screetching sound. So I ripped out this mangled sleeve and the problem is fixed, and the steering wheel locks once again.

~TLGM

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey