Ignition switch won't turn all the way off

Another issue with the 2000 Jimmy is that the igniton switch won't turn all the way off so I can get the key out. When you're done driving it and go to shut it off, the ignition switch will only go to the first notch back, which will kill the engine but the odometer and battery icon will remain lit. The key of course won't come out of the ignition in that position, but won't turn any farther to get to the lock position to remove it. It doesnt matter what you do with the shifter (floor console shift), nor if you rotate the steering wheel, or tilt the wheel up or down. It does this with both keys. The only way I can get the ignition switch to shut all the way off and remove the key, is to keep turning it back on, then off, a whole bunch of times... Then, one of those times, it will simply shut off exactly like it's supposed to. Then, if I were to turn it right back on, I would likely have to perform the same ritual again. But, sometimes, it simply shuts off exactly like it's supposed to. If it weren't for the odometer and battery icon remaining energized (and whatever else), I wouldn't even care that much about not being able to get the key out. However I suppose it would drain the battery after awhile, I don't know how long, depends on what all is energized. Plus it's probably not good for it to keep cycling the key, and turning everything on and off a bunch of times in rapid succession all the time. Anyway, has anyone else had this problem?

Reply to
James Goforth

Yes, on a 1997. I replaced the switch, there are two wires which operate a small magnetic solenoid to allow removal of the key. If those are not connected you can't get the key out.. I learned this after it was all back together :-) with the two wires not connected.

Procedure on the 2000. The steering wheel should not have to come off, but you do have to remove both covers on the column. Disabling the air bag is not a bad idea either. Google for that procedure.

You will need some reverse-torx bits. I bought a cheap set of reverse, normal, and security torx for about $15 at Harbor Freight.

My 97 got to where it would simply shut off while driving - sometimes exciting. Replacement of the switch solved it.

Reply to
Miller

As a temporary measure you can use a pen to stick up through the access hole in the lower trim section of the column. You will find a small cover that comes out and directly above it is the back side of that solenoid. Stick a pen in there and the switch will turn all the way back. The design is intended to prevent you from locking the column if you turned the key off while moving. If you are smart enough to keep from doing that you can just remove the solenoid and just tape the connector so it cannot short. I did this on the 97 and the 02 we have.

Reply to
Steve W.

Miller wrote: "Yes, on a 1997. I replaced the switch, there are two wires which operate a small magnetic solenoid to allow removal of the key. If those are not connected you can't get the key out.. I learned this after it was all back together :-) with the two wires not connected.

Procedure on the 2000. The steering wheel should not have to come off, but you do have to remove both covers on the column. Disabling the air bag is not a bad idea either. Google for that procedure.

*******************************

Interesting, thanks for the response. Am I correct in presuming the solenoid is integral with the ign switch, and enables it to go all the way to the off position, thus allowing the key to be removed? Or is the solenoid seperate and can be replaced by itself? (Because the switch itself otherwise performs normally -- no problems starting, running, etc).

Reply to
James Goforth

Steve W wrote, "As a temporary measure you can use a pen to stick up through the access hole in the lower trim section of the column. You will find a small cover that comes out and directly above it is the back side of that solenoid. Stick a pen in there and the switch will turn all the way back. The design is intended to prevent you from locking the column if you turned the key off while moving. If you are smart enough to keep from doing that you can just remove the solenoid and just tape the connector so it cannot short. I did this on the 97 and the 02 we have. "

******************************

Thanks for the reply Steve. I will check that out.

Reply to
James Goforth

The solenoid is held in place with a couple screws. You don't have to remove the wheel just the trim. You have to pay attention to the way it comes off. There are two small tabs in the back that fit into clips. You have to pull the cover toward the wheel to get them to release.

There are screws that retain the lower cover, plus a couple that go through the mechanicals that hold the top cover. Remove the screws, remove the cover, remove the solenoid and toss it. Tape the connector up and stick it out of the way. Then replace the cover.

Reply to
Steve W.

I can't believe I finally found someone who was having the same issue that I'm experiencing with my '97 Blazer. I've been to multiple mechanics who have no idea how to fix this problem. Hopefully, all of this great info will help. Thank you!

Reply to
birdylola

Anyone having this problem: remove the shift knob so you see just the lever and button and try to fully turn the car off and take the key out again. If you have no luck, it must be the btsi solenoid, tumbler, or something else.

Reply to
dapradage033

Take a little needle tool and push the inside metal plate (that is next to the key) in, and the key will then turn to OFF. Your key is probably too short.

Reply to
mgmmusic1

THere is no mention of the type of vehicle or age.

If it's older, the IGN switch and key are probably worn. Go to a dealer and have them make you a new key from your VIN number. Then spray some graphite lube in there. If that dont fix it, you need to replace the lock cylinder.

Reply to
mouse.n.keyboard

Probably too late now... But mine does this. It's a 97. I just smack it real hard with my strong hand and it lets me turn it back... lol Works about 95% of the time.

Reply to
mikeholt54

Ur the best... Thnx

Reply to
christineb1990.cb

Thanks fr lol u saved my life ?? I was bout to blow t he whole car up lol sick of it

Reply to
woodzerica

I am currently having this problem on my 1998 GMC Jimmy (4WD). I can use t he pen to push the button and get the key out, but it would be nice to just fix the problem. I took the coverings off of the steering column and I ca n see the button and mechanism. DO I just replace that part, or is it some thing else? What would that part be called, so I can check online or at th e local store? Any help is appreciated!

Reply to
leftyplayer27

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 5:10:43 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

the pen to push the button and get the key out, but it would be nice to ju st fix the problem. I took the coverings off of the steering column and I can see the button and mechanism. DO I just replace that part, or is it so mething else? What would that part be called, so I can check online or at the local store? Any help is appreciated!

O.K.... I read all the articles I could find and a few mentioned the possi bility of broken wiring under the center console near the gear shift. I re moved the shifter head and then the center console. I noticed right away t hat the yellow wire had broken off of the harness. I unclipped the harness and repaired the yellow wire. Everything worked perfectly after that. Re

-assembled it all and everything is back to normal.

Reply to
leftyplayer27

I?m having the problem with my 2014. Frustrating.

Reply to
nikkithomas8867

I have a 06 Pontiac Torrent I was having problems with key would not turn to off it would only go to accessorie and stop locksmith came was going to put new ignition switch in he said it wasn't that he unhooked the transmission interlock cable and he turned the key to off then now can I leave this transmission interlock cable loose or do I need to replace it and sometimes the car will just die have to wait awhile it will crank back if you put it in neutral can someone please tell me what I need to do have you ever heard this before I bought a new battery more than welcome to email me if you want to snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
proudmamaw2012

On the 06 Pontiac torrent it dont have the thing under steering wheel that you can push to turn switch all way to off

Reply to
proudmamaw2012