Purchase ??

Hi All,

My wife and I are ready to purchase a used vehicle. The main thing we want is an SUV with a third row of seats. We want an SUV because we will be doing some towing and most SUV's have what it takes. We will be towing a travel trailer weighing approximately 7100 pounds wet. We will only be towing on short trips to go camping. They may get longer, but right now will mainly be kept to a few 100 miles or so. Here is a list of what I know that comes with three rows of seats. I would like a list of what I may have missed, what years the vehicles started having three rows of seats in and what might be good buys. We kind of have our eyes out for the Land Cruisers, because they are smaller then the rest and still have the power.

Toyota Land Cruiser Expedition Excursion Durango Suburban

Thanks for any help provided John

Reply to
John

We were faced with this same problem, not long ago, and we are still looking for the right truck. We were leaning toward the Yukon XL, (or Suburban) but decided to wait until we settled on a new trailer. I would start shopping starting at the bottom of your list and work up. I personally would not own a Japanese car/truck/suv if it was the last car being built...cost too much for upkeep, and I don't know too many places in Japan that the average schmo would have to pull or haul anything... So... homework homework homework...

Reply to
Eightupman

Why do you come to a Chev/GMC truck group and ask about Rice Burners & Ford junk?

bobby lew

Reply to
Bobby Lew

Hello, I am not a dodge fan by any means but if your looking for a mid size suv the V-8 Durango is honestly quite the truck. they are extremely comfortable, they have all the power you need and then some for a travel trailer. My Uncle in ST.Louis occasionally pulls an 8000 lbs backhoe 70 mph down the highway and says it's great. his is new and I know he paid a bundle for it. now as for a Yukon or Suburban you are getting more room and a quality truck with way more than enough power to pull abot anything. One advantage with a Suburban depending how much truck you want. I think (but could be wrong) ? I think they have

1/2,3/4, and maybe a 1 ton models. you can buy a good used 94-97 4x4 Suburban between $6,000-$13,000 dependinon options,miles, etc. I just sold a 31' Bounder Motorhome today that's a top notch Beauty with 40,000 miles for $12,000 454 with an Allison tranny. If we could have justified keeping something that big we would have. Have a Great One and Good Luck ! Bob
Reply to
Bob Perkins

ooops forgot something. I noticed you had Excursion on your list ! well I can tell you first hand I rented one when I went to the Talladega Nascar race in the spring of 2001 and that was the biggest peice of $50,000 crap I have ever drove. to high centered and rode like a lumber wagon. Just my very deeply honest opinion !! Have a Great One ! Bob

Reply to
Bob Perkins

I was surprised when Ford didn't name this one the Exterminator!

Reply to
Ann Meffert

Pulling this load should be your #2 concern. Your #1 concern should be STOPPING this load.

Urk.

Try rec.equestrian, a newsgroup loaded with people who tow heavy loads for a living.

Una

Reply to
Una