Question about interior door panels

(body shop kindof question)

Hi,

I'm driving a 2000 GMC Savana 3500 (1 ton) and from all the door slamming before I got it the interior plastic door panels on the passenger side are loose to the point where they rattle all the time.

I figured they had come out of the metal clips that hold them but when I look closer I see that the clips have come off the inside of the door and are still gripping the tabs on the plastic panels.

How did the clips come off the metal and how do I get them back on the door? Do they need to be welded on? If not, can someone who is handy fix this themselves or is it something a body shop or a dealership should do?

I thought about using some sort of Goop product or epoxy to get these clips back in place but I wonder if further door slamming would just jar them loose again.

Any ideas or advise? You guys seem to be the experts so I'd like some advice before heading to the dealership.

BS

Reply to
Brandy Sullivan

Greetings,

If you pull back the panel you will see that there are little mushroom-shaped plastic plugs that clip onto slots on the door panel then pressure fit into holes predrilled into the metal door body. What happens is these clips work their way loose from either the slots in the plastic panel or pop out of the holes in the door.

If you can reach in behind the panel and pry one out then you can take it to a local auto parts place like Pep Boys or Advance and get replacements. Be sure to bring one in with you to match up the correct size and style because there are about 20 different ones. This is an easy fix so don't bother using any sort of goop or glue.

The next best thing is to use long sheet metal screws with washers - but be careful where you drill. You don't want to break a window, bind a window regulator, or drill right through the outer sheet metal.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan