Chevy S10 annoying rattle

Our truck started having an annoying rattle which seems to be coming from the passenger door up along side the dash. If we drive with the door open slightly, we do not hear it. We stuck some foam rubber in under the door panel and it did not help at all. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

-- Gene Seibel Gene & Sue's Flying Machine -

Because we fly, we envy no one.

Reply to
Gene Seibel

Worn hinge pin bushings. with the door open, lift on it, how much play?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

We tried that and there does not seem to be any play. Our truck is a

2003 with 40k Gene and Sue
Reply to
Gene Seibel

Yeah, I think I have the same rattle/knock in my 2001 s10 extended cab. I don't think it is a worn hinge pin because that door hardly ever gets used. It does seem that it could have something to do with the door hinge though because it seems to come from that area. I hope someone that has found and fixed this problem will respond because it has been annoying me for about a year.

Reply to
RMR

Hi!

My 2003 S-10 extended cab developed this same kind of rattling sound. Before it came along, however, there was another rattle that cropped up and sounded like it was coming from the passenger's side area. I was able to fix it when I discovered that a relay mounted above the air conditioner/heater/fan box was loose. Tightening it made things quiet once again.

The second rattle was what the dealership called a "body rattle" and it was the most irritating thing I'd ever heard a vehicle do. It sounded like something was loose in the door. I don't happen to know what the dealership did, but they tried stuffing foam in various places and replacing plastic panels. Finally they tightened something (and I wish I could tell you what, but I don't remember) and the noise has not been back.

William (the guesser)

Reply to
William R. Walsh

If your car computer is behind the battery and atop the radiator overflow tank, you will swear your front end is coming apart when you hit a speed-bump.

I made up some small wooden blocks to keep the computer from rattling in the snap-in mount they use.

A rag underneath will solve it, but blocks airflow.

Reply to
Miller

Might not be the problem but on the 2002 we have there were what sounded like rattles coming from the doors. I pulled the panels and found nothing. Put them back on and rattle city. Turned out to be the very edge of the panel was scrubbing on the door shell itself. Repaired it by installing some thin rubber padding at the rub points. To see if this is your problem look at the edges of the panels where they contact the outer door shell. Look for areas where the paint is worn. Put some thin material there and see if the rattle goes away.

Reply to
Steve W.

Same model, same problem here. 2001 S-10 LS with 50K miles. I've tried to find the 'rattle' but haven't yet. Mine sounds like it is in the driver's door. I thought it was the window handle (no automatic windows), but that isn't it. Some days it's worse than at other times. Sometimes it's non-existent for awhile. But when it rattles, it RATTLES.

Helen

RMR wrote:

Reply to
Helen

William,

For the relay on the air conditioner/heater/fan box, is that inside the cab or under the hood? Did you need to disassemble panels etc?

RMR.

Reply to
RMR

Miller,

I looked at the computer mounting and see what you are talking about, it seems that not only does the black plastic mount not grip the computer tightly, but the black plastic mount can bounce around on top of the overflow tank. I put some small chunks of foam between the parts. I'll see if this cures my problem. Thanks for the tip.

RMR.

Reply to
RMR