Questions about 1997 Astro

I have a 1997 Astro with149,000 that I drive as a cab. Most of my trips are to and from the airport. The payload is rated at 1465 pounds, which isn't much for a van that will seat eight passengers, including the driver. Are there heavy duty shocks that will increase the payload by 200-400 pounds or will I have to buy new heavy duty springs? I would prefer to replace the shocks, of course, because it is cheaper and easier. Anyone have any experience with heavy duty shocks for an Astro?

Also, I am putting together a tool set to carry in my cab. I am not a mechanically gifted person but hope with the right tools and books to do more of my own work. I have been told that six point sockets and wrenches are a better choice than twelve point and have bought my tools accordingly. Are there times when twelve point sockets and wrenches are needed on an Astro? Also what tools should I carry? I get the occasional out of town trip and am particularly concerned about breaking down where I don't know anyone. And what tools should I have for a home tool kit where space and weight aren't the concerns that they are in the Asto. I want to be able to do anything short of rebuilding an engine or transmission.

In the past, I have tried to avoid doing my own work but am now trying to learn as much as I can to avoid being stranded on weekends or out of town when my mechanic isn't available.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might be able to provide.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Brown

You would want to add a leaf or two to your srpings in order to increase your payload. shocks do not support weight, they only absorb schock. I added 2 leafs to mine. In practice, this increases the vans payload, But, in court, the van only has the factory rated payload.

Take note that because you are operating as a cab, (proffesional driver/chauffer etc) should you ever be involved in a traffic accident, and it is found that your vehicle was holding in excess of the factory rated payload, you could be liable for damages, and could likely get sued by any passenger having been in your van when it was involved in any traffic accidents.

six point sockets are good because they are less likely to slip off of a six point nut or bolt. However, once a bolt has been mis shaped from a slipping wrench, it can sometimes be difficult to get a six point socket or wrench over the nut or bolt. Thats when a 12 point unit is more desirable.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

But the astro has single fiberglass composite springs, I think. Is is possible to add leafs to this type of setup?

Reply to
chrome

Good point. I bought some Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjuster shocks and put them on yesterday. If I decide to increase the payload, I will check in to adding leaves.

Since I saw the rated payload, I have taken out the rear seat and limited the number of passengers to four.

Are there any 12 point nuts or bolts on a Chevy truck? Any square 4 point nuts or bolts that would work with 12 point wrenches or sockets? In my research, I read one opinion that twelve point sockets are useful in tight spaces.

Thanks for the information.

Reply to
Ken Brown

My 97 Astro appears to have conventional springs with three leaves.

Reply to
Ken Brown

This was the solution I decided on, along with limiting the number of passengers I carry to four.

I bought the Sensatrac load adjuster shocks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Ken Brown

Reply to
Scott M

Those fiberglass springs were garbage, one of chevs better ideas?? I took the crappy fraying broken cracked composite springs out of my 87 astro and threw them in the trash where they belong. I put new steel leaf packs in and now I feel safer.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

There are no twelve pointed nuts or bolts on cars really. one of the ideas behind a 12 point box wrench is that you have more positions availlable to strart a swing from, making it also more suitable if you only have a 10 or

15 degree swing .Of course, if its a socket, it ratchets so that solves that . also like i said before, sometimes its hard to get a six point socket over a mashed up six point bolt. and sometimes a 12 point socket will slip over a bolt that a 6 point will grab fast !

Its more a personal preference than anything. I have lots of both.

I would worry less about how many points they have, and just make sure you buy tools from someone who offers the lifetime guarantee on them. like Craftsman or better. eventually you may find you have way too damn many sockets and wrenches , with any luck !

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear