Buying S 10 & Topper

I've been thinking about buying a S 10 truck and then, a topper. I'm looking at no frills truck with AC, auto, and split 60/40 seat.

My priorities are:

Reliability Economy Comfort

The truck will be used as basic transportation, no towing.

In addition, I'd like to buy a very simple topper for the new S 10. I assume that I want something light with the ability to secure stuff inside the shell when traveling.

So, what brands and types are best? And how much should I expect to pay for one.

Thank you for your feedback on this! Tom Welch

Reply to
Tom Welch

Hi!

New, used, barely used? IOW, what year truck are you considering?

Most of them have that, but if you want really, really no frills you'll have to find one that is not an LS and maybe even a regular cab.

The S-truck should fulfill all three quite well. I'm very comfortable in mine, and I'm not exactly what you'd call a thin guy...I'm 6'2" and weigh around 265...

Even then I'd spend the extra money for the V-6. It'll help the resale value down the road and the 4 seems gutless when paired to an automatic tranny even if you don't tow. Plus, it is a good deal quieter and smoother...and having been derived from the 350 GM V8 engine, is known for good reliability...

An aluminum topper sounds like it would fill the bill nicely. Fiberglass is going to be expensive stuff and it will weather. I have an aluminum topper on my '84 GMC that still looks darn near brand new despite being some 15 years old. It has held up well.

Can't remember who made it, but I do believe that a company called "Quality RV" sold it. Can't say if they are still around or not..

I have a 9 year old fiberglass topper on a much newer truck and it is fading and peeling like I cannot believe.

Aluminum toppers have worked well for me. I have owned two over time and both have served well. Dunno what a good price is, I didn't buy either one of them...they were hand-me-downs and came with the trucks.

Hope this helps you out.

Good luck!

William

Reply to