Rear

Hi all. I just received a 05 Silverado crew cab with the Light Duty Power Package.(5.3 tow package locking Differential ect) My 1st chevy in a long time. (no more gas guzzling bad handling fords) I drove it from Maryland to Tennessee (doing 75 or so) and got 23mpg,and was very happy with the truck. Then I took it camping a few hrs away to western Maryland towing my 21'

4500 lb camper and was not happy at all. It has a 3.23 rear in it and I thought its way to high to tow the camper. The outside tem gauge said 96-101 while driving in a 30-40 mile bumper to bumper mess.When the road would open up going up the mountains it would really have a hard time. When I got to the campground I could smell the breaks. I put in a new prodigy brake controller and must not have had it adjusted right. (Buts that's a whole different story) On the return trip I had open road lower temps a well adjusted brake controller and had much better luck. So was it the temp or did the fact I got a good running start up the hills help? I was wondering if anyone has the same set up and how well they do towing. I was also wondering how much do you think it would it would run me to change the rear(I guess to something like a 3.73?) and what that would do to the warranty
Reply to
marie Hammond

Well 1st let me say that when GM went to 17 inch tires as standard they changed the gear to 3.23 to keep the mileage, hence the 23 mpg. When you bought the truck did you mention to the dealer that you would be towing or hauling heavy stuff? The 3.23 is just not enough to tow with and thats why GM left the 3.73 as an option. If you have the dealer install the 3.73 then the warranty will stay intact.The cost will not be cheap however. I tow a race car with my 04 power package with a 3.73 and have no problems at all even with these horrible hot days. hope it works out for you.

Reply to
dsheppar1

Yes We told the dealer we were going to tow. we looked at all of the 15000 on the lot (about 20 of them) and was told it was standard.(all of them had towing package too). thanks for the reply!

Reply to
marie Hammond

time.

would

Some will disagre with me but you need more like a 4.10 axle ratio. That truck comes with a 3.42 which is a joke for towing with that engine power curve. It should have come with 3.73 minimum. I had a loaner truck a few moths ago equipped as yours and I know it first hand. OD is about worthless on any thing but fairly flat ground without a trailer and drive it not very inspiring either. A 3.73 will not give you the boost you want towing so head for a 4.10 and it will completely change your veiw of it as a tow vehical. It should not really effect MPG not towing that much in the real world but is should improve it towing a good bit. The 5.3 pulls is best from between 3000 and 5000 RPM (makes the most torque) and as it stands now in drive at

65 you are down about 2400 to 2500 RPM and making no real power to tow with and OD is worthless towing with 3.42 even on flat ground because at 1600 RPM or so you might be making about 80 HP or so at flywheel if even that much. With 4.10?s you will turn about 2900 in drive and develope a lot more power for hills and in OD turn about 2000 RPM at same speed and have it usable on fairly flat ground with no big head winds when towing.
Reply to
SnoMan

GM ships as many as possible for MPG fleet averages with tall axles that work on EPA dyno but not in the real world and sell them to unsuspecting buyers as tow vehicals. The ECM in truck supports up to

4.10 ratio from the factory with programming and it was a factory option too so I would go for 4.10 if you make the change. I would not go to 3.73?s because it will not give you the boost you are looking for. With 4.10 you should be able to handle up to 6 or 7000lbs easier than you are handling your current trailer.
Reply to
SnoMan

My 04 with the tow package has 373's with the locker. Towing my pop-up for the first time this weekend.

Reply to
Sigwings

Ya I got my 03 with the Tow Package and it has 3.73 locker in it also. I don't get 23 MPG though with my 5.3, I'll get around 18-19 MPG Highway. Tows great.

Reply to
JBDragon