rear axle interchange

Hi all-

I tried Google as well as searching this group (my new server doesn't retain messages very long) but couldn't find a certain answer for my question.

A bit of background: my mother was involved in an accident recently where the other car contacted directly on her pass. side back tire. She has a '99 S-10 2WD extended cab. The shop is telling her that the entire rear axle assembly needs replaced to the tune of $3000+.

My question concerns which rear axles I should be able to swap in as painlessly as possible. Google results seem to indicate that pretty much any year S-10 rearend will bolt up, as long as it's out of a 2WD donor. I also noticed a few people used rearends out of Astro vans. Does this sound correct to the experts here?

The truck is at the shop right now, so I don't know which rearend it has exactly, or the rear ratio. It looks like the most popular option is 8.5", ~3.54 ratio. Once the truck gets towed here, I can check the ratio and size and visit the local junkyard, which has complete axles (drum-to-drum) for $150, and my brother and I can handle the labor.

Many thanks in advance! Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

The astro van uses a composite leaf springs that are wider than the steel leaf springs on the S-10, the bolt pattern for the wheels is different, the astro also uses larger studs, and the distance center of spring seat to center of spring seat is wider on the Astro.

I also believe that there are physical differences between the S-10 pick-up and the S-10 Blazer, the spring perches are not the same distance apart.

If she got hit hard enough to bend axles and axle housings, I would be real worried about bent spring mountsat the frame, bent frame, and damaged springs.

And since you didnt say she (your mother) was hurt bad, a collective sigh of relief and thank God that she is ok.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I just sent an 88 s10 2x4 to the 'yard I woulda given ya. :-(

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Most common is 7.5" rear-end and 3.42 gears. Chevy doesn't make a 3.54 ratio. Any axle out of a late 90's S-10 or Sonoma will work. If you don't get the correct rear-end ratio, the PCM will have to be reflashed with the new ratio for the trans, speedo and other things to work properly.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

thanks for that- scratch the Astro axles. perhaps the ones i read about did their own fabrication and/or matching front axle bolt pattern.

Thanks for the heads-up about the possible difference between the pickup & Blazer- i'll be sure to bring a tape measure to the yard ;-) The '99 has ABS- from what i've read, there was some type of change around '96- axle housing flanges, perhaps? The way I understand it is if I get the appropriate complete axle it will bolt in, but I cannot (for example) use newer brake parts on an older housing. The yard nearby is pretty large and I feel that there's a good chance they'll have the right year/model/ratio/etc., and all of these details will be moot anyway. Just trying to educate myself :)

Indeed she is uninjured and I appreciate the kind words- i'm actually surprised at the damage assessment since she told me that her car and the other car weren't moving very fast- 25-30 MPH combined. The shop is going to put it on a rack, perhaps tomorrow, to check the frame for straightness and visually check the springs & mounts.

Thanks again! Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

Thanks Doc- I figured it should be pretty easy to swap in a different axle- these trucks are so common I'll be surprised if I can't find something pretty quickly.

Thanks! Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Bremer

They are a dime a dozen.......................you shouldn't have any problems finding a decent replacement axle.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Just wanted to add that you can decode the numbers from the RPO sticker. If the donor truck doesn't have one, then there are numbers on the top right axle housing that will give you the info.

John Alt

Newer Astro/Safari have steel leaf springs. My 93 Safari had composites, my 2001 Safari has steel leaf springs.

Reply to
mp