Recommendations please for dual exhaust system for 2000 pickup and 2001 Suburban

Sorry for repost, attached to wrong thread previously...

Please excuse me if this topic has already been beat to death. I don't often get a chance to read this newsgroup.

I bought a used 2000 1/2 ton X-cab Chevy 5.3L that had quite a few miles on it and wanted to change the A/T fluid and filter. What a job! I had to take most of the exhaust system out and cross member just to get the pan off to change the filter. This is retrograde engineering from my old '93! It turns out my wife's 2001 Suburban has the same set up. Something that should have been a fairly simply job is now ridiculous.

So, I'd like to put in a pretty much straight back dual exhaust system to avoid this mess and improve performance as well, though the performance isn't my main consideration.

Can anyone recommend a good engineered (not a weld shop job) system that won't break the pocket book? Also, can the current catalytic converters be reused or will new ones have to be installed with the new system. I'd like to reuse as much of the old system as possible. Both cars have the four O2 sensors and Y pipe now.

Thanks very much for any insight and recommendations!

-Jim

Reply to
jabitz

Jim,

The only systems yer' gunna find are cat-back systems and OE style replacement systems, neither of which will solve yer' dilemma. You have to stick with the single cat, but can Y off of the cat for dual, rear-exiting exhaust. You can't fudge with the cat setup due to federal emissions laws. Running a straight-back dual exhaust system will require dual cats; it is illeagal to switch from single-to-dual cat setup. Emissions laws suck eh?

You can go for it, but the only way yer' gunna get it done is to have an exhaust shop bend and weld it for you, and the fine is like $300k if you run into a State Trooper in a bad mood.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"