Looking into a dual exhaust system for my Ram...

I've got a 1998 2500 5.9 cummins ram and im lookin into to putting a dual exahust kit on it. I've talked to a couple folks about it and they all seem to think that the idea of a dual exhaust system on the turbo diesel will lack the backpressure needed. Has anyone tried it and know for sure? I just started looking into this about a month or 2 ago, so any amount of information helps. If dual exhaust can work out, what kind of exhaust would you guys recommend? I don't tow as much as my old man used to with it, but i love taking it offroad, so i'm not going for pure street performance.

Thanks ahead of time guys, Nick

Reply to
CptRon

Never heard of a dual exhaust when exhaust is coming out one side of the engine. I suppose it is possible to have a manifold doing 3 per set.

This is what I have in my Ram

GeekBoy

Go look at a Neon SRT-4.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Thanks for the info. I talked to some more people today and they all seemed to think i should just stick a single. The banks seems like the right direction, I actually looked into it before, but wasn't quite sure. I've got another question for you guys though; do you happen to know how much those kinds of kits sell for? If not, I'll call them, its not a problem. And most important, other than the amazing power bonus, how do you guys like the sound change? Not much of one at all? Louder? Or just different? Did you notice a major change in the milage of the truck? Thanks a ton guys, Nick

Reply to
CptRon

A turbo system doesn't need back pressure to operate correctly. The less restriction the better. If it wasn't too noisy, a large straight pipe would be perfect. You can't change the manifold to a dual outlet, because it all has to feed in to the turbo. If you like the look/sound of duals, no reason not to do it. Split the pipe as close to the turbo as possible, and use the biggest pipes that will fit. With two large pipes and two large mufflers, it will probably be as quiet as stock, but flow better.

Reply to
.boB

Awesome. Does anyone know of a good dual kit like that?

Reply to
CptRon

The sound on my truck seems to be a bit louder and deeper than others.

As for fuel milage...I do not know..I bought the truck with the Banks Power Pak on it.

Reply to
GeekBoy