Removing the bed...

Hello all...

Happily driving my '84 Sierra once again, and I'm making plans to empty the bed and even take the topper off as I probably won't need it. The old truck has been used as something of a storage unit as it sat around.

The thought hit me that I could also take the opportunity to take the (seriously rusted and almost gone) bed off the truck and replace it with perhaps a homemade wooden flat bed of some kind... I realize I'd have to make provisions for the tail, brake and reverse lamps, and probably also the fuel fillers, but is there any reason that such a thing can't be done? How hard is it to take a bed off...keeping in mind that it probably hasn't been anywhere since the truck was new and everything is heavily rusted...?

Can a truck be safely driven with no bed at all, so long as there are lights?

This may be a personal call, but I'm wondering if it would be wise to keep the bed after it has been removed or if I should just deliver it to the local junkyard. Storage space isn't really a problem...

Thanks in advance for thoughts, tips, constructive critiscism, etc...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh