Replacing Compressor

I live in Florida and my 1997 S10's compressor has had a slow leak these past few years. It's now to the point that I would need to add a can of R134 every week or so. So I'm going to make some repairs.

The leak is at the bottom of the compressor, where the front half meets the rear half. No other locations. I used that florescent dye to find the leak and let me tell you... that stuff is great.

I'm buying a compressor and I know that they recommend replacing the accumulator at the same time. Should I now replace the accumulator? It's inexpensive at $40.

Other questions:

As the system is leaking, the low pressure side is basically empty. How should I go about disconnecting the high pressure side? Can I bleed off pressure some safe way?

How should I go about adding the correct level of oil (PAG)? Should I just add the correct amount to the compressor when installed or add it to the accumulator? Does oil accumulate any place else that may create an "over-fill" situation?

Will I need any other parts? I'm going to re-use the o-rings if they look good and replace them if not.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

You really should replace the accum. I would also replace the expansion tube (about $3). You normally replace the amount of oil that comes out of the compressor when you remove it. You tip it up hose side down turn it and measure how much comes out. Put that same amount back in the new one. Read the instructions that come with the compressor to be sure. It will probably come with new o-rings.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Good advise!

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Most new compressors come prefilled with oil. since your in Florida, see if there is Tropical International Autoparts store in your area, they are an AC Delco outlet, and I have found them to be the lowest priced on new, not rebuilt, AC compressor assy. All parts will come with new o-rings. And I second the advice to replace the orifice tube. When the new compressor is installed, make sure you turn it over by hand a dozen times or so before putting the belt on it and firing up the truck.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I will replaced the accumulator. At $40 new and just a couple of nuts holding it in, it's worth it.

I will also replace the orifice tube and o-rings (less then $10 total)

But... I'm actually going with a salvaged (non-rebuilt) compressor. It's been tested and works. I know it would be better to use a rebuilt unit but they sell for $120 and the salvage part is $50. I really don't have much money to spend.

I doubt the compressor will have oil in it. I can find out how much oil goes into the stock unit. I know oil can be added to via accumulator when the system is operating. I've done this in the past. I probably should not have as I think only gas was escaping. I'm guessing any oil added to the accumulator travels and resides in the compressor?

Reply to
Todd Copeland

The compressor always has to have oil in it, the "cylinder" walls are aluminum. If the compressor is empty of oil you need to add the required amount before you install, or you will damage the replacment. Add 2 oz through the suction port before hooking hoses up. Pour 2 ozs in the accumulator. The Evap holds about 2 oz, and the condenser the same for a total of 8 oz of oil in the system. Make sure you get the correct oil, there are 2 types for R134 systems. Small bottle 8 oz is under $10, discard the remainder the stuff sucks up moisture faster then brake fluid. Strongly recommend against using "oil charge" products.After everything is hooked up but before you start the vehicle manually turn the compressor over ie by hand with the clutch plate about a dozen times to distribute the oil properly.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Great info! Thank to everyone for the quick replies.

One more question and probably the biggest:

How can I safely remove the pressure from the high pressure side of the system? The low pressure side has almost no pressure at this time. Can I just use the release valve on the high pressure side? Is there any problems removing pressure this way?

Reply to
Todd Copeland

all that and nobody answered one of you first questions....:( The high and low side are the same (unless you have a major blockage) Where ever you start to take off first wiggle the fitting when its loose

(not off) and any pressure will come out safely. Or you can use your gauges and just loosen a hose on them. Wrap a rag around it and wear eye protection and youll be ok. bottom line:Being that you said the low side has no pressure the high won't either. Unless you have it way overcharged there is only about 100 psi in there. It can't kill you but it could put an eye out ;)ouch

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

Reply to
johny