Rocker arm bolt trouble

I have a '78 GMC Sierra that originally had a 350 diesel engine in it. Sometime in the past it was replaced with an Oldsmobile 350 gas engine. Seems like a good engine, but I can't get the rocker arm bolt to stay tight on the #3 exhaust valve. I've even tried locktite but it just backed back off after about a days worth of driving.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Will a new bolt make a difference? The fix on Chevy engines is easy... just go buy a new locknut, but the Olds engines use a bolt.

This is just an old work truck so I'm not going to spend a fortune on fixing it. I only paid $400 for it to begin with.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
kimmell

We'll assume the threads in the head are good, you didn't say.

We'll assume the bolt is the problem. You didn't mention any others.

Any whoooo...... Get a new bolt, clean the hole in the head THOROUGHLY with a good spray carb cleaner, using RED loctite, dowse the hole and the bolt liberally, and install to torque specs.

If you use a new bolt, RED....Loctite, and torque the bolt, it WILL NOT cause another problem.

Fact, not Fiction.

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroyal~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster