Magnum Rocker Arm Question

I'd like to change my stock 1.6 rocker arms to 1.7 rollers in my '01 5.9, both for the slight performance increase and because it will give me something to do. Of course, cost of the project is always an issue.

Now, I'm cruising through the Crane catalog, and I find a couple of similarities. Both the Magnum and the SBF both have pedestal mount rocker arms. Also, both engines use the same stud conversion kit. With the kit, both engines can use the same Energizer rocker arms, and the same push rods. But, the energizer rocker arms are available in 1.6 ratio only for this application. But I'm sure with the conversion kit you could use any SBF part.

Now, in further research through the catalog, I notice a Crane PN 44746-16 for a SBF, available from Jegs for $200. This is listed as a 1.7 ratio, pedestal mount, with stands, rails, and shim kit.

Then, I perused the Jegs catalog for roller type rocker arms, 1.7 ratio for a pedestal mount SBF. I found PN

778-66878 from Pro-Form. This is apparently a bolt on application with a needle bearing fulcrum, for $165.

Another advantage is that the pedestal mounts are self aligning, and don't need guide plates. Therefore, they don't need hardened push rods.

However, I would expect to need taller valve covers to clear some of these bigger rocker arms. Do the Harland Sharps fit under the stock covers?

I'm wondering, is there any reason that these Ford parts won't fit on a magnum?

Sure, the Harland Sharp rockers are much better. And if I was racing this truck, I'd spend the $500 and buy them. But this is a street truck, and the stock rocker arms will last longer than the rest of the truck. So I really don't need racing parts, especially when it's $300+ more.

Reply to
.boB