S-10 No heat problem

1998 S-10 ext cab V6, I notice two weeks ago, I had no heat in my truck, so I changed the thermostat, and checked the fuses, still no heat. I took the
heat and air control panel out of the dashboard, the vacuum was fine in the control switch. To keep from paying the Dealer 70.00 bucks just to look at it with a 500.00 bill to take out the heater core. I decided to unhook the two hose's to the heater core , at the engine compartment, and use my air compressor on 20 psi and blow through the heater core and see if there is a complete loop. I did this and antifreeze and gunk come out the other end of the heater core. Now I have heat again. I don't know if this caused another problem later,but I have heat.

You may want to do a Google search on this and other GM newsgroups on; "Dexcool."
It's that "Great GM feeling."
Re: S-10 No heat problem Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Wed, Nov 12, 2003, 7:08pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (NeilNelson)
1998 S-10 ext cab V6, I notice two weeks ago, I had no heat in my truck, so I changed the thermostat, and checked the fuses, still no heat. I took the heat and air control panel out of the dashboard, the vacuum was fine in the control switch. To keep from paying the Dealer 70.00 bucks just to look at it with a 500.00 bill to take out the heater core. I decided to unhook the two hose's to the heater core , at the engine compartment, and use my air compressor on 20 psi and blow through the heater core and see if there is a complete loop. I did this and antifreeze and gunk come out the other end of the heater core. Now I have heat again. I don't know if this caused another problem later,but I have heat. You may want to do a Google search on this and other GM newsgroups on; "Dexcool." It's that "Great GM feeling."
The only problem you can have with blowing the gunk out of your heater core ....Is if the gunk is clogging up a hole and when you blew it out it started to leak....Just to be on the safe side Id flush out the whole system.....to make sure you got it all out.... Steve C
In article
The_Gear snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote:

Nice attributes. (not)
nosmo wrote:

This is exactly the problem that coolant filters were invented to fix. They'll filter out all of that gunk before it can clog up your heater core, your radiator core, or your coolant jacket. Not to mention tear up your water pump impeller and seals.
They aren't very expensive, and are worth every penny.
AP
I had a 96 that had the exact same problem...had to flush it every winter after I figured it out!

so
the
the
500.00