2004 chev tires

I just picked up an 04 Silverado,It has 245 75 16 tires, I want to change the tire size to 265 75 16, can the speedometer be changed by reprograming the computer? will I run into any other problems,with anti lock breaks? Tom

Reply to
ZTIERMOT

The only thing you are changing acording to what you have in your post is the width of the tires the tire height 75 and the rim size 16 are staying the same so your spedo should not change at all

Reply to
Jack Schumacher

the number 75 is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the section (NOT tread) width. a 265-75R16 is indeed taller (75% of 265mm vs 75% of 245mm) than a 245-75R16. when I swapped out my worn out Uniroyal LTL's in 245 for BFG AT K/O's in 265 I noticed that my speedometer is now 5% off (1 MPH per 20 MPH speed).

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase
Re: 2004 chev tires open original image
Re: 2004 chev tires open original image

I went from 245-75R16 Firestone stock tires to 265-75R16 BFG KO's and had the dealer reprogram for the new tires to correct the speedo. They warned that you might have ABS issues as well if you don't reprogram. I think it was $30 to do the programming. BTW, my truck is a 2000 Silverado, but should be the same for all newer ones...

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Bret is correct. You will gain 1 to1.5 in. in height when you change tire sizes from 245 to 265. I had a GM dealer adjust my computer to correct the speedo when I changed my tire size. They told me it could be changed providing I used a tire size that is available on GM trucks when new. The Z71 trucks have 265 tires when new so it was not a problem.

Reply to
Sid Port