S10/Sonoma 2.2 to 4.3 swap

I just threw a rod in my '97 Sonoma 2.2L 5 speed. I'm looking at my repair options and have a few questions. Looking on Ebay I came across a

4.3 engine/tranny combo 50k miles on it for $800 with accessories, driveshaft, computer and wiring from a '97 S10. I imagine I might have to pick up a radiator and new motor mounts. The ad mentioned it was a great swap for the underpowered 4 cyl engine. When I mentioned the possibility of the swap to both my local mechanics they both said I'd never get it running right and they wouldn't do the install. The truck was sold with the 4.3 as one of the optional engines so I'm not understanding why they feel it would be impossible to get running right.

Second question. If this swap IS possible, there appears to be many more auto trannys than 5 speed engine/trans combos available. Is it possible to swap a manual for the auto tranns?

Cost is a HUGE factor for me. The quotes I've gotten for a used 2.2 is

1100 for the engine alone and 700-1000 labor to swap it out. Seems to me I could get the 6cyl swap for that money and have a better suited engine in the process.

Thanks

Reply to
RAM

============================ listen to your mechanics. Of coarse it is possible but a major pain in the.... The only way I would do it is if I had the 6 cyl truck sitting right next to the 4 so you had every part available and see where it goes ect.....

Reply to
Scott M