shift indicator off one notch on my 94 s-10 Auto

They passed my truck at the inspection station. Hooray. They mentioned the backup lights did not go on when in reverse. Well, they do on, but only when I'm between park and reverse. The shift indicator is off by one: neutral is 3rd, 3rd is 2nd, etc. Do I take the steering column cover off to adjust this or do I take the cluster off? My Haynes doesn't quite cover this. Thanks

Reply to
MarkRos

A couple years ago, I had a 1989 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer. The truck would not dependably shift into park. I had at least once when it nearly rolled away, when parked on a hill. Really irritating. Seriously dangerous, too.

I took it to the transmission shop, and they gave me a bucket full of garbage about how the shift linkage was worn out.

The answer turned out to be to crawl under. The shift linkage comes down from above, may have had a pivot point or two. On the drivers side of the transmission is a point where the shift rod connects to the arm that comes out of the transmission. I had to shift down to L-1 to make the connection more visible. Loosen a bolt, and then slide the rod from the shift down, in relation to the arm on the side of the transmission.

Sounds like yours will be the same. The shift rod from the handle has to come down about 1/4 inch in relation to the connecton that comes off the side of the transmission.

Is yours a working email? I'd be happy to draw what I mean, scan it to PDF, and email the picture to you. Or maybe I can find it in a repair book.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com The tranny shifts fine , the only thing "wrong" is the red needle indicator (and the backup light switch-must be coupled to it).

Reply to
MarkRos

I just told you how I adjusted that, on my truck.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sure, but did you go over and do it? :)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

NOPE, the Needle is not part of the switch. It is a separate item connected to the bell on the column housing. If both are off then you need to adjust the linkage to the transmission to center it back up. Shouldn't take much over 20 minutes to do.

Reply to
Steve W.