My automatic transmission is stuck in wrong gear...please help.

Hello, I have a 1991 Mx-5. I have my original tranny still. Yesterday I was out driving and suddenly my transmission would not engage its gears normally. It feels like I'm always driving in first gear or less. I can move the gear shift normally, but the car seems to be stuck in only one gear. Also,I cannot drive in reverse. Although I can move the stick in reverse...but the car acts like it's in neutral when I do (no movement).

I cannot afford to get a new transmission right now, does anyone have an idea as to what's going on with my tranny? And what can I do to fix it ..if only temporarily. Thanks Silver

Reply to
S.Silver

Does the shift lever seem to move *really* easily (much more so than before)?

Check the linkage. If you're lucky (and you've led a clean, wholesome life), it will be something simple like that.

If not, Christmas is right around the corner...

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@mverive.com

Reply to
Michael Verive

No. Except that clearly the gear activation mechanism has become inoperational.

You may want to look at the articles on miata.net

particular the rebuilding tips and stuck in reverse(though that is obviously not your problem.) Some other links
Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Have you chacked the fluid level?

I have no experience with automatic transmissions in Miatas, but I do have a fair bit with others (mostly external). The only other possibility I can think of external to the tranny is that something in the linkage slipped or came loose. I've seen similar symptoms before where a slide adjustment slipped and you would end up with (indicated/actual) Park/Reverse, Reverse/Neutral, Neutral/Drive, Drive/Second, Second/Low and unable to shift into indicated low. This also means you're unable to get into actual Park. This probably isn't your situation or you probably would have mentioned the other symptoms, but just in case your car's about to roll down your driveway because you unknowingly parked it in reverse...

The troubleshooting chart for "does not shift from 1st to 2nd" says to check, the shift mechanism, vacuum diaphragm and piping, and ignitions switch and starter(?). After that it gets more involved. For vehicle does not move in R range (moves in forward range) extremely poor acceleration" the first and second items to check are ATF level and condition and shift mechanism.

John ('94 Miata, 5 spd) jsgmcclary at cox dot net

Reply to
John McClary