software/cables for Laptop OBD1 and 2

Anyone have any experiance with the software and cable kits for scanning ECMs? My laptop has USB1.1, serial and parallel ports. I want one that does older GM and OBDII at least. It would be nice if it did graphing too. Any links? TIA

Reply to
Scott M

Look at

Not saying it's the best but does work with laptop using serial port. I believe there's also an usb adapter too. You can clear DTC but can't program ECM funtions. Does graphing and you can save the file for later review. It only reads OBDII (16 pin on GM) however I have a 95 S10 4.3l that's a hybird OBD1.5 with the 16 pin connector and it reads most of the engine parameters.

Reply to
DonW

Here's another link:

I have not used it.

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

With Reference to : > Here's another link:

I purchased the Universal OBDScan approx. two weeks ago I've only tested two vehicles ('98 Ford Windstar 3.8L and a 1998 GMC Sonoma 2.2L) so far... they showed No Trouble Codes as I suspected. I was going to disable some of the sensors... or pull a plug wire to give it something to deal with, but I didn't have the time!

Dan's software (I used version 3.30) showed in 'real-time' the data that it says it will do (see his web page). The real-time graphs are a neat to watch! :)

Mr. Dan Harrison was prompt in sending me the hardware/software and it worked w/o any glitches right out of the box.

I found a couple of things that I intend to give him suggestions for improving, but for the $money$ I have not found anything that delivers this much data for the money. If you think you have... I'd be interested in knowing what & where!

I purchased the Universal Package for $147, which will cover Ford (plus Ford Enhanced), GM (Enhanced is promised soon), Chrysler and Imports!

His software is advertised FREE for the upgrades! How many of the competitors offer that?

You can d/l his software and install it even though you don't have the hardware (converter box + cables). That'll give you a good idea if you think that it will meet your needs I believe.

I am not associated w/ Mr. Harrison in any way... except I am a very satisfied customer of his so far.

I'd be more than happy to tell you more about Mr. Harrison's OBDScan, except that I have limited experience using it so far.

BTW, I hooked my Universal OBDScan to my computer via a 50' length if RS-232 Shielded cable... run into the house to my emachine 466Mhz Celeron. Mr. Harrison said it would work... and it certainly did!

I have a used IBM Thinkpad laptop coming which will be a big plus. It'll be much more convenient... and I can monitor my sensors, etc. while running down the highway! No! I won't be driving and lookin' at my computer screen at the same time! I reckon I'll have to have my wife drive me this time!

I hope this little bit of info was found useful!

Take care...

Jack Port Charlotte, FL

Randal O'Brian wrote:

Reply to
jalin

Damn, I guess there isnt one for older GMs.........I sure cant find it if there is......

Reply to
Scott M

Try Actron. Autozone sells them. Here's one that does both, if you get the cables for OBD 1.

John Alt

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
Scott M

please do.

cJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

==================== AutoXray6000 So far seems to work nicely. My only disapointment is you cant hook it up to your laptop and see REALTIME graphing. You can however capture data first, download it, then graph it on your PC which is the next best thing I guess. It is pretty cool to be able to see a graph of the sensors....

Reply to
Scott M