Please recommend a code scanner

I recently posted about an ignition problem with my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thanks to the help from this group, I fixed it by replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Some posters recommended that I do a scan to find the problem. I don't have a code reader and I'm interested in buying one. I'd like to hear some recommendations. I am not a mechanic and I would only use it when I have a problem. I understand pre 1996 vehicles use OBD I and newer vehicles use OBD II. I also have a 1994 Ford Mustang. It would be great if I could use the same scanner on both cars. I would also be nice if the scanner could do both OBD I and OBD II so I can still use it when I purchase a newer vehicle. I don't want to spend a lot of money. I have a laptop and a Palm Pilot, so a cable and software is also an option. I found one on Ebay that find fit the bill(see

. Is this a good one? I don't want to spend any more than this and I'd prefer to spend less.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you, Steve Smith

Reply to
Steve Smith

Does the key, on, off, on, off, on to read the codes on the dash not work on yours?

Mike

Steve Smith wrote:

.> Is this a good one? I don't want to spend any more than this and I'd prefer> to spend less.

Reply to
Mike Romain

Here you go.

HarryS

I didn't know I could do that. I just tried it and I don't see any codes or blinking lights. Where is the code displayed? Where do I find out what it means?

Steve Smith

Reply to
Steve Smith

If it works the dash light should flash a set of flashes and pauses ending with 5 5 which means end of codes.

There are lists of what the codes mean for different vehicles. I thought the mid 90's stuff could use the key check, too bad.

Mike

Steve Smith wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I just tried again and it does work. I just needed to leave the switch on and wait a few seconds.

Steve Smith

Reply to
Steve Smith

Cool, cheap books like the Haynes and Chiltons manuals have the lists of codes and what they mean or you could ask, someone knows likely.

Mike

Steve Smith wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

May, 2005 4Wheel & Offroad, page 104. Bought one yesterday as I have two Jeeps that are OBDII and a Gran National that is OBDI. Try their site

A NICE unit. Comes with a CD too. I did get the exact one shown in the magazine, an ACTRON CP9145 and bought the GM OBDI cable for the Gran National.

. > Is this a good one? I don't want to spend any more than this and I'd > prefer to spend less.>

Reply to
Curtis