Stereo?

hank wrote:

Ah....Hank...I suspect everyone will still be here. I know that I lose my temper every now and then, but overall, everyone on these newsgroups are pretty good. I do have a fence to build and yard to play with this summer though, so I might be forced to take a bit of a breather.
Ian
Hi!

Oh Doc (and other knowledgeable folk here)!! :-O
What in the world are those of us with truck troubles going to do in the meantime? I think I can trust my S-10 (and it's far enough away right now that hopefully it didn't hear me say that!) but my Sierra is a big uphill battle that I'm working on losing. :-)
Oh whatever will I (and others) do??
William The Guesser (wondering when his luck will run out and how long his trucks will behave themselves while the experts are away...)

all
in
pushback,
Well, let me be the first one to say don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Just because you didn't like what Ian had to say didn't make him wrong. Helpful people like Ian are few and far between while dick heads like you are a dime a dozen. In other words.... Don't go away mad..... just go away. Bob
Unarguably undisputable about Ian;
And also about the OP!
Refinish King
PS Chin drippings, when you were given advice, pertaining to a question. You were still given a thing of value! So in the end, you received something a consultant would charge you for, and you have the audacity to call him an "asshole" You are an egregious asshole!

are
is.

all
in
Hi!
Whoa there Commentator...think about this a second or three... I'm not going to defend anyone here, but take the time to think through the list of things mentioned already.
Although Ian didn't annotate things as to whether or not they are "inside" the radio or otherwise he did give a complete list of functions. Some are internal and others are not. No I don't think they are all correct for your model truck (MP3 playback comes to mind), but of the ones I read over, the only tricky spots are XM if you have it (external tuner module IIRC), outboard audio amps (you almost certainly don't have these and I don't believe Ian mentioned them in his snippet) and the key beeper, which maybe you can live without and that may not truly be in your radio anyway.
If you want to absolutely know, do one of two things: Call Crutchfield. These people know their stuff, even for new vehicles. Or, disconnect your battery, take out your radio and leave it out as you use the truck. Provided you can live without tunes or talk or whatever you like to listen to, you can see what may be affected and it shouldn't hurt a thing.
<irrelevant bit with questions of my own> I'm also not so sure I believe in all this VIN-keyed Theftlock stuff. I've seen pictures of these radios operating from nothing more than a bench power supply...and yes, they were functioning normally and not claiming to be locked up. I also see nowhere (apart from an unpopulated connector for accessories on the back of the radio) where anything but the very simplest serial data bus could exist...and I'm thinking the serial bus in a vehicle would be a complex beast with all the data that must be exchanged. </irrelevant bit with questions of my own>
I do agree with your observation that some of the folks here get to acting like bigshots now and then, but it's interesting to stick around as there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here who do have good advice and interesting things to say. It's just not all the time that this happens. :-)
William
Just dont butcher the dash installing it. I just took a junky super tuner out of my blazer some s.o.b. cobbled it up atlest they used an adapter for the wiring. I had to make a plate to mount the radio in and fasten it to outside of dash, oh well it'll be easy to remover if I everhave to.

No kidding. If I couldn't do it without butchering the dash, I would find another solution. I don't understand why people will pay so much for a vehicle then hack it up like that.
I dont get it either why butcer it up, just get a radio that fits the exiting hole i kinda like the original look sort a restrod look i guess lol.
William R. Walsh wrote:

I would just like to remind you that I simply cut and pasted an entire section out of the service manual. None of that information originated from me, nor did I make any changes to it. If Commentator wants more info, I'd be happy to search a bit more and see if I can come up with something that is a bit more to his liking.
Ian

Thanks but no thanks.
I'm getting the information I need elsewhere.
wrote in message

going
things
your
Provided
Talked to Crutchfield, see other posts. Quick turnaround on the questions I posed, too.

power
I don't know about the VIN lock, but I do know the old passcode based theftlock worked as advertised.

:-)
I have been reading this group for quite some time, and occasionally posting here. Yes, some of the posters in question are quite knowledgeable and can be quite helpful. If I didn't think this group was a good resource, I would not have posed my questions here.
Having said that, I have also noticed certain of the same posters have quite an attitude problem when challenged on anything. Shrug. Their prerogative, but they shouldn't act all surprised and indignant when someone calls them on it. Being helpful on one occasion doesn't excuse being rude and condescending on the next..

installers
skills
=============yep, they like to do things like get power from the airbag circuit! :) Does someone allready make an install kit for that truck?
Hi!

Does
Oh please please tell me that you were joking there!
I guess it does mean that your radio would play for a little bit after the crash though...after all doesn't the airbag system usually have backup power?
William
Hi!

required
Can't help you with that one...

Give 'em a try with your new receiver. See what happens. They might be entirely satisfactory. I kept the stock speakers in my '03 S-10 because they sounded very good with my new radio and seemed to take all the power just fine (4X40W). In fact, I'd have to say they sounded a lot better when driven with an obviously more capable radio with a much less bass-biased tonal curve. Just looking at the speakers they seem to actually be pretty decent quality units.

Maybe. Read your manual. Do you see any functions that are performed through the radio? If not, or if you never plan to use those functions just pull the factory unit and don't look back.
I seem to faintly remember that the Colorado I test drove played the "open door", "key in" and "seatbelt" tones through the radio speakers. I don't know if OnStar uses the vehicle's built in audio system or not. I don't have that system and I don't want anything to do with it.
For my '03 S-10 I was told left and right that the radio managed a lot of vehicle functions...some even said it was tied closely to the ECM. I found this to be all untrue. In that configuration it played music and did nothing else.
Oh and one more thing from someone who's done this a few times--try the install yourself. It's usually very easy on newer vehicles and the satisfaction of having done the job yourself is something that's nice to have. Also, as a highly satisfied customer of theirs, I'd very much recommend speaking to Crutchfield if you want to do the install yourself. They are very helpful people and while not the cheapest, for what you get the price is reasonable.
William
wrote in message

they
driven
It is this bass bias that drives me crazy.
My morning radio listen on the drive to work is news, and it is almost nlistenmable without turning the bass almost completely down.
CD's at least are bearable, but not exactly what I am looking for.

through
the
It is the "hidden" uses I am concerned about.

have
nothing
I was really hoping to avoid buying the dealer manuals before the thing is even broken in properly, but it is sounding like the only way to be sure is to buy them and check it for myself.

I planned on doing the install myself.

Hi!

Yes, me too. I like a well balanced sound with a wide possibility of adjustment. The factory radio didn't even qualify for this.
I think I can guess what musical (if you could call it that!) audience this setup was intended for!

Yeah, I listened to a presidential address on the radio shortly after I bought my truck. The presets were awful and the manual controls didn't have a good range.

Dealers will lie to you about this. When I was truck shopping every last one of them did. Why? I don't honestly know, and I will not accuse them of being dishonest. I simply think they do not know what all the radio may or may not be tied into.
If anything, I would again urge you to just try it and pull the radio and see if anything goes missing. It is extremely unlikely that you could break anything unless something catastrophic like a short circuit against metal were to occur.

is
Some common sense will take you a long way here. If you pull the radio out, you're going to notice a few different connections to it. Not all may be populated. The largest multiwire connection is for power, backup power, speakers, lighting and similar stuff. The other connector right next to it is a form of serial data bus and auxiliary inputs (not that easy to use though as the radio may require a proper data stream or reprogramming to turn them on). This may or may not be populated with anything. Then there is the antenna connector and you should know what that does. :-)
This should get you started.
At one time I had the pinouts and an information page on my web site. Unfortunately, I had a horrific basement flood about two weeks ago that destroyed my personal webserver.

Good for you. Really. And Good Luck to you. :-)
William
wrote in message

this
My wife's GrandAm with the 6-speaker setup is actually not too bad with the bass bias, although it is still there. I think that the extra speaker, and the placement of the speakers, helps to smooth things a bit. Doesn't work with the 4-speaker setup in the regular cab, though.

have
one
being
not
That, and greed. I called a local dealer to enquire about a remote starter for the GrandAM, again not willing to allow a hack and splice shop at the wiring harness, but not having the time or inclination to do it myself. (Prices to follow are in CAD$)
He quoted me $700 installed for a unit I could buy retail for $225. When I checked the retail price, I asked him how he could justify $475 to install. His answer was that I could take it or leave it. And then they wonder why people try to avoid dealerships.

break
Crutchfield was helpful, thanks. They indicated only OnStar (not installed) and door chimes as being affected.

is
out,
is
Common sense, sure. Just like to know as much as possible before going in, and I did recall seeing some posts indicating potential "hidden" uses so I thought I would ask first.

Thanks for the help.
Forget all the ugly posters.
Do not just go to a shop you 'feel' you can trust, but do some serious looking around and find someone who has a lot of experience. I have found Tweeter to have one of the best car audio installation shops around and they do sell probably what you are looking for. Avoid at all cost the local places that are run by what appear to be local rappers and teenagers; you can't trust them not to mess it up. If you have to travel to a larger city if you don't live in a larger city yourself and be prepared to spend the day getting what you want. It may be worth the wait and inconvenience. I have seen some local people install car stereos and butcher the existing wiring such that costly repairs were necesary. A truly good shop won't do that to you.
Just my opinion Don't agree? God Bless America

found
they
city
day
have
Thanks for the advice, but as I stated elsewhere, I do plan on doing the install myself. Quite frankly, I am not sure I trust any of the aftermarket shops to do it properly ie without hacking up the wiring harness. I see no reason why, even if I can't find a commercially available adapter harness, I can't make one myself. I'm aiming for a "reversible" installation if at all possible.
Hence my questions. I like to know what my options are before trying to jam something in there.
FWIW, the good folks at Crutchfield (thanks to another poster for pointing me to them) have let me know that I would lose OnStar (not an installed option) as well as door chimes. They recommended to me the Metra VT-GMRC-01 GM Class II Data Bus Interface as a way to keep the chimes. Seems a little pricey for what it does, so if anyone has any feedback on this unit I would appreciate it. (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i 0gmrc01)
Interestingly, they also indicate for each model deck they sell whether it can be installed without cutting into existing support metalwork. Useful as one means of narrowing down the field of decks to consider. They recommended the Pioneer DEH-P4600MP as one such beast, stating no modification required with included kit / harness. Feedback on this deck would be welcome too. (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i 0dehp460)