C Class - Changing original cd-stereo

Hi everybody, I'm from italy and I have a Mercedes C-Class 220 (year 2003) Avantgarde. When I bought the car I got the original CD-STEREO with 10 BOSE speakers.

I am very satisfied of the speakers, but the original CD-STEREO is very very bad... So I want to change it with a CLARION/PIONEER mp3 stereo. Somebody told me that I need particular adapter to install a new stereo in the car. Is that true? What I need to install a new stereo? Can I buy this online?

My last question is: is there a cd-stereo (mp3) that is able to keep the original steering stereo controls?

Sorry for my bad english :P I tried to do my best. I Hope someone will answer to my question.

Bye Bye!

snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.it (keep out NOSPAM)

Reply to
mUgEn

Don't worry about your English. The English of some of the English speakers is not much better...:-)

Ciau. DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Ciao! ehehe

Reply to
mUgEn

I do not know the answer to your question about a new stereo head unit. However, you should know that the Bose speakers have a 2-3ohm impedance which many amps cannot handle. Just make sure that whatever you pick can run these speakers.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Hi, thanks for your message. What do you mean with:

amps cannot handle.

Even if I have an HARDSTONE amplifier I did not programmed to use it, but I want to use the internal amplifier of the stereo that I' am going to buy....

Mmmh... If I want to know the exact value of impedence/ watt of the speakers installed in my car how can I do? Do you think that if I look at their backside I would find this values?

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Reply to
mUgEn

From what I have seen, the impedance is usually on the back of the speaker.

.
Reply to
greek_philosophizer

Yes, or you can just measure across the speaker wires with an accurate multi meter.

The net impedance can change depending on how the individual spears are wired up.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Speakers which measure 2 to 3 ohm on a mulitmeter are 2 to 3 ohm resistance. .

They are probably 4 ohm impedance.

It is all due to "inductance" which you cannot measure on a simple multimeter.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

Oops, my Italian spelling is hopeless. I knew there was something wrong but could not see it. And last month I spent 5 days in Magnificent Milano (mostly family holiday).

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

While what you say is true, there are several reports that the Bose speakers actually have an impedance of 2-3ohms, not a DC resistance. That makes them marginally compatible with non-Bose head units.

There are several MB newsgroups where this has been discussed.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

WTF!!!!! So I have to change all the speakers....... :(

Reply to
mUgEn

Possibly but, since this has been discussed on the newsgroups, you should research it before deciding. I am afraid that I cannot recall where this was discussed, it was at one or more of these:

suggest a little search at those sites. Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Most likely, the audio system is using an amplifier, or knowing Bose, a couple. Bose is very particular with their systems, they always seem to have external amplifiers to handle the lower impedence of their speakers, not to mention the equalization needed to enrich their sound.

I doubt that your stero will be running the speakers, it will be the amplifier. The question is, will you be able to hook into it? If it is using Speaker level inputs, great, just figure out the colors. If it is RCA/line level, then you will need to make sure you get a head unit with both front and rear RCA outputs, otherwise you will lose front/rear balance.

mUgEn wrote:

resistance.

Reply to
thomcasey