Transmition problems

about 45 mph when the car engine continued to rev but car was slowing down. I pressed on the gas to make sure the car was on and it revved up high but the car was still slowing down. I down shifted to regular Drive ³D² and the car revved a little higher and continued to go. I drove on and when I got on the bridge I tried to put it back in ³O² but the same thing happened. The car revved up but it was not engaging the transmission. I made it to work and checked the transmission fluid. It was full and was not burnt. I checked for leaks under the car and it was dry. I can get into every gear except ³O². Your thoughts please?

Reply to
MrWho

it's toast

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Delurking to throw in my recent experience. (So recent the truck's in the shop right now having the repairs done).

I had a similar condition with my 1993 Sonoma 4.3L HO w/ AT. Would not accelerate over 35-40 mph. If I came to a stop, then it would go fine until you let off the throttle. After that the engine would rev higher, but no power got to the wheels.

Diagnosis was 3-4 clutch burned up - having the repairs done now.

Reply to
JRGage51

Once again...toast

Reply to
BigAssPhil

Hello: If you are somewhat mechanical oriented, you might put a drain pan under the transmission, loosen the bolts, let the fluid drain out, the finish removing the transmission pan. Be careful when emptying the fluid from the pan, because you want to look at all the sediments that have settled in the bottom of the pan. This will give you a good idea of the shape of the transmission. If you find lots of metal shavings, bits of other material, then it might be a warning of more serious damage. I would then put in a new fluid filter, put the pan back on, and refill the transmission, test drive and see what happens. The way I view it, what do you have to loose except a little time and money. Might save you several thousand. Most repairs now go for 1800- 2500 dollars depending on type and amount of damage. Take Care Larry

Reply to
Robie