Voltage Question

Guys,

A few weeks back I was having trouble with my truck "bogging down". I noticed one of the injectors not spraying and after checking it with a meter, it wasn't getting enough voltage. I traced wires to the ECM where there was a bare wire shorting against a piece of metal. I repaired the wire and the truck ran fine for a few weeks. Now the problem has started again. My question is this: If the alternator was going bad, would it cause a voltage drop to just one of the injectors? Thanks for any replies!

Kyle '95 C1500 5.7L TBI

Reply to
KB

The ECM relies on a clean 12 volts to operate correctly. The injector voltages come from a fuse, not the ECM. The ECM grounds the injectors to fire them.

Reply to
Scott

So, if I'm getting half the voltage to one injector that I'm getting at the other one where does the problem lie? The injector is new and wiring is good.

Reply to
KB

. . Re: Voltage Question Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Fri, Nov 7, 2003, 7:42pm From: snipped-for-privacy@bowtie.rules (KB)

So, if I'm getting half the voltage to one injector that I'm getting at the other one where does the problem lie?

The injector is new and wiring is good. ======== ========

The injector or the wiring.

hopefully helpfull, Scrib Abell ~:~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

My first guess would be to take at look at the spot where you did the repair. Did you do a real good job of cleaning and soldering the wires. Just twisting them together is not good enough.

If that is good I would then try following the wire back. It seems to me that there must be some poor connection.

Reply to
Dick

Seems ironic doesnt it? :)

Are you checking the power side or the ECM side? Are you checking with or without them pluged in?.........

Reply to
Scott

I'm checking at the injectors, key on, engine off.

Reply to
KB

"> > > .

==================== That didnt answer my question. All the things I posted above are at the injector....

Reply to
Scott

Injector side, unplugged.

Reply to
KB

So, you have 12 volts to one of the injectors, and 6 volts to the other to ground with them unplugged? If that is the case you have a bad connection. The voltage simply comes from a fused and switched source from the fusebox. This problem is very odd, you better check it again.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks, Scott. I'll check it out again.

Reply to