Difference between W and X Vin 4.3 Liter

I was reading an article, till now, I thought you could only get the 180 hp version of the 4.3 Liter in the 4x4 version S-10's and Sanoma, but I was wrong, can I take the ecm under the hood from a 4x4 and hook it into a 4.3 Liter in a 2wd pickup? Would it work, if I tired it, is there a chance I could screw my engine up? The 4.3 also had 190 hp output in 4x4's.

Reply to
An American Revolution

i looked in my owners manual under x vin and this is what is says. X Vin (T Series) 180 hp and (S Series) 175 hp. How do I find out what series I have?

Reply to
An American Revolution

S refers to 2wd, T refers to 4wd in the S-10/Sonoma style trucks. The model line is just S-series.

Regarding the original question, I'm not sure if that would work for you, swapping a 4x4 ECM into a 4x2 truck. The big determining factor is the year of the truck(s), but you may still have SES light issues (or Service 4wd light issues) if the componets are not there or the ECM isn't re-flashed.

You may be right, the difference may be in the ECM programming. I also recall the possibility that the Y-pipe was a different design on the 4x4 models, due to increased ground clearance and the need to get around the front driveshaft. That exhaust change may account for some of the difference. However, if GM specified 2 different VIN letters, there's likely more than just ECM programming, there is likely a hardware difference.

We're overlooking another issue, maybe. In the 92-95 trucks, X and W referred to 2 different 4.3L engines. One was a TBI with 160 HP (X) and one was a CPI with 190 HP (W). TBI is Throttle Body Injection, it looks like a carb on top of the engine with 2 injectors pointing down. CPI was a batch-fire port-injection system, the top of the engine looked like a spider (or insect since it was only 6-legged).

Reply to
Mike Levy

Those are two different engines. Different wiring harness and other items as well. The X is a TBI engine it has what looks like a carb on it. It uses a different cam as well The W is a CPI engine (aka Vortec) it has a throttle body that only meters air, this is fed through a plenum and six separate injectors. Just swapping the computer wouldn't make a difference.

Basically - S-10 = Chevy 2wd small P/U or Blazer, T-10 = Chevy 4wd small P/U or Blazer S-15 = GMC 2wd small P/U or Jimmy, T-15 = GMC 4wd small P/U or Jimmy The Bravada is a T-series with a full time transfer case. The numbers were used till the body style change. Then they switched to names.

Easy to tell the difference. If you have an air cleaner with a long snorkel that goes to the top center of the engine you have a VIN X TBI engine. If the air intake goes to a unit at the front of the engine and the intake has a cover that says VORTEC you have a VIN W CPI engine. Or just look at the 8th digit in the VIN number.

Reply to
Steve W.

I wanted to take a 97 S-10 2wd with 175 hp X Vin 4.3L CPI FI, and put the ecm from a 97 S10 4wd w/ 180 hp W Vin 4.3 Liter CPI FI into the 2wd. Are the engines identical? Or is there different internal hardware? I just am trying to gain that extra hp and torque.

Reply to
An American Revolution

They are different engines. There is no such thing as a VIN X with CPI on it. TBI only on the VIN X. Not possible to just swap the computers and get the power. Sorry.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Jordan Smith

Bullshit. I have a 97 S-10 with a 4.3 Liter, does not have throttle body. The 8th digit is X, thats the engine code, and it is X! Maybe I cant just swap computers, but X Vin is what i have. 95 and newer on the S-10's had different setups on the 2wd, they had 175hp and the 4wd had 180, the 4x4 app was w vin and the 2wd x vin. My owners manual say the same thing.

Reply to
An American Revolution

For some other help. The X engine in a 97 should be a Vortec. The difference in them is still internal though.

Reply to
Steve W.

I think all New body style S-trucks use the CPI motor. So that would be

94 up for S/T Pick-ups 95 Up for S/T Blazers.

TBI 4.3's have a VIN code of Z in Astros, S/T S-trucks, Caprice's, & full size trucks.

ECM programing will not determine a different VIN code from GM, it does mean that something on or in the engine is different. That something effects the HP rating of the engine. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

no I agree that there is internal difference. But there is an x vin, which I have, and it is CPI. a friend of mine has a 97 S-10 also 4x4, but not the Zr2 package. He has W vin. 5 more hp

Reply to
An American Revolution

The "original" CPI was used through 95, no distinction between pickups and utilities, they all used the same "W" motor if ordered that way. It changed for all models in 96...

Reply to
Mike Levy

We have a 99 Jimmy that has the 4.3 (180hp), it is classified as High Output

4.3 because of the towing package and 4x4 capabilities. So yes, it is two different engines.

Reply to
Adam Frazier

It's not classified as the HO because of the tow package. Your Jimmy likely has the W engine with 190 HP, I think most of the Blazer/Jimmy side of the line did, pretty sure all the 4x4 Blazer/Jimmy style trucks had the 190 HP version...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Ok, thats why when I called the dealer to ask about a ECM they asked if I had the high output 4.3 or the regular one.

message

Reply to
Adam Frazier

Yea, I just talked to a machine shop down the road from me. He told me there is no difference between x vin and w vin internally on the engine. So I think it is ecm programming. Graff Chevrolet in Sandusky comfirmed it, but said for me to swap ecms would be risky since a 4x4 has more sensors for the

4x4 application, and my 2wd doesnt, and could cause a problem.

Reply to
An American Revolution

IN-0.2880 EX-0.2940 = HO cam lift

IN-0.2340 EX-0.2570 = Non HO cam lift

Blazer/Jimmy

in

wrote

Reply to
Steve W.

what is the difference between the cams?

Reply to
An American Revolution

Jordan worte: But what about my z code engine? Granted its a fullsize not an s10 but internally no difference

Steve W. wrote:

Reply to
Jordan Smith

a Z vin code 4.3 should be 190HP. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig