96 - What does a water pump going bad sound like?

I have a 96 5-spd Max with 85K mi. I hear a type of "clatter" I guess is how it's best described, when I let the engine rev down in gear that I don't hear when accelerating or cruising. It's there but fainter in neutral when revving, not there at idle. Probably there more when the engine is warm. I'm thinking it might be the water pump. Doesn't sound like what I would expect from the timing chain or valve train, and its not a rattle like a loose heat shield or exhaust component. Any thoughts? Thx PS

Reply to
Paul S.

Have you always had the car and this is a new sound, or are you new to the car? If it is sort of a growl like sound when you get on it at low rpm or launch abruptly, it might be a normal sound. I don't know if that is gear noise or engine knock that the knock sensor is compensating for, but my 95 SE 5-spd has always made a rather unique sound under certain low rpm acceleration conditions. It also growls like a diesel for a few seconds when starting in cold weather. But it has never had any internal engine problems in 108K miles (just dead starter and occasional injector or O2 sensor).

I guess a bad bearing on a water pump might sound somewhat similar (kind of a rattling sound), but I have not had a water pump go bad since my 69 Torino back in the 70's. Usually a bad water pump becomes apparent when you start losing coolant from the shaft seal.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Sounds more like a chain to me.

Water pump noises are there all the time as it's a bearing going bad that makes the noise. Chain noises come and go with engine speed and if you are acceling or decceling. Then again it's just a guess as I can't hear the noise.

Reply to
Steve T

...> > valve train, and its not a rattle like a loose heat shield or exhaust

I've had this car since 50K, but it did not make that sound originally, just noted it more this year. There are no leaks. Since the car otherwise runs well and is not high milage for a Maxima, I would rather preempt any problems. Mayb I'll just have to wait and see...

Reply to
Paul S.

OK, thanks for the input. I borrowed an automobile stethoscope - it's not the water pump (was smooth sounding), it's coming mainly from the the *#$%! upper timing chain guide. How predictable...

Reply to
Paul S.

Sounds like my luck!

Reply to
Steve T

Was the problem with the 95-96 maxima with the timing chain tensioner or with the guide?

If it's the tensioner, replacing that part isn't too bad. I removed it when replacing my water pump. I did not see if the guide would have just pulled out so I can't comment on that. The space in that area is pretty tight though which can be frustrating. I think the tensioner is a $40-50 part.

CW

Reply to
CW

Try listening to your STARTER during cold starts and hear if the noise is there. There is a problem with 95-96 starters that when they start to go they seem to make noise as if there was no oil in the car for a while. It seems to get worse when it is cold.

Reply to
95-96maximas