What is making this happen

I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4.3ltr 6cy, sometimes when I turn the ignition, the gauges don?t move, the air-bag, check engine,seatbelt icons do not light up. When this happens, the truck will not turn over. When all the dash lights go on, and the gauges move, the truck turns over. Why does this happen, and what can I do to remedy this?

Reply to
Chef

could be a bad ignition swith that does not always make a good connection. or clean battery terminals extra good. old john

Hello, Chef! You wrote on Thu, 12 Jun 2008 01:22:14 -0500:

C> I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4.3ltr 6cy, sometimes when I turn the C> ignition, the gauges don?t move, the air-bag, check engine,seatbelt C> icons do not light up. When this happens, the truck will not turn C> over. When all the dash lights go on, and the gauges move, the truck C> turns over. Why does this happen, and what can I do to remedy this?

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

I bet it won't shift out of park either...

Ignition switch. 97 seems to be a particularly bad year for ignition switches.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I'll second that motion!

(I had to replace the same on my '95 at about 110K miles.)

Reply to
PerfectReign

Could be your positive battery terminal also. When this happens the next time, while holding the key to start, have someone wiggle the positive battery cable right at the battery. PLEASE BE CAREFULL THAT ALL HANDS ARE CLEAR OF ANY ROTATING PARTS. If you can start it by wiggling the cable, it might be corrosion on the battery terminals. There are usually 2 cables on the positive terminal of the battery (side post). One feeds the starter, one feeds everything else. The battery leaks right at the positive post, acid travels through the terminals to the spacer between the terminals and sits there. Corrosion ensues. The terminal closest to the battery is usually tin plated copper, but is sometimes moulded lead. There is then a lead washer, followed by another terminal almost always tin plated copper. Through this stack is a cadmium plated steel bolt. All these dissimilar metals when soaked with acid, produce a lot of corrosion. Symptoms are typically as you describe, or sometimes you get nothing at all when you turn the key. Another symptom is when you turn the key to run, all the lights come on and everything seems normal, but when you go to start, you get a single click, then nothing. You lose all power, no dash lights, no radio, no nothin'. Clean your battery terminals, or better yet, if you can is to replace your battery with a top post and your battery cables with the appropriate connections.

KenG

Reply to
KENG