Why are the top rails of the bed tapered towards the back

My friend just got a super nice 04 Chevy 4 x 4 3/4 ton w/duramax and

6 speed. Previously he had a Dodge 3/4 ton that he had a diamond plate toolbox mounted in. It was the typical diamond plate toolbox but the 30" wide model. It fit the doge, but won't come close to fitting the Chevy. Upoon measuring the top of the bed between the rails there is actually 2 1/2" difference between the rails from the front to the back. I have a 97 GMC half ton and measured mine, and lo and behold they are also tapered. What gives with this tapering of the top rails dimention in width from front to back? The beds floor is the same at the front to back, but the top rails are not. Any ideas as to why? Visit my website:
expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever.Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Reply to
Roy

the taper is to help with aerodynamics, which in turn helps with fuel economy.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Somehow,on Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:07:21 -0500, Bret Chase managed to spout out:

my first guess would have been to help with aesthetics, not aerodynamics. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, but even with a taper, you've still got a great big open hole in the back of the vehicle.

Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

I could buy that, but: I can sight down or even put a sting alongside my trucks length and measure it to make sure its paralell to the sides and at a 90 deg to ther front end and the outside shows not the first bit of taper that would come into playa to add to aerodynamics. Its just basically a big box with a cab and pickup bed with rounded off corners at the lights and fender and box ends, so I have to dissagree with the aerodynamics. As flat as the 97 GMC is in front and the open bed, its going to take more than a taper to give it any boost in aerodynamics I would think. Along what would be the bottom of the bed or about midway point of the doors, its perfectly flat but at the top edges is where it starts to taper. This is driving me crazy as to why! Not that I can do anything about it and everything lines up and fits, but "why?" Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever.Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

What they've done is make it look more curvy, but made it useless as a truck. B

Reply to
Battleax