2002 silverado v6 light tapping when starting,sounds like a lifter.

some times when the truck sits all day. it will make a light tapping wen i start it,, then it fades out... lately it last longer... some times 10 minutes,,, but when i drive it,,, it has a loss of power... i wait for it to stop tapping before i drive,,, 2 dealers tell me that it will not hurt anything also that it cannot be fixed.. any one else have it with there 99-02 v6 or v8....tanks engine nut

Reply to
gasenginenut

a dirty/cheap oil filter can cause that.

Reply to
Huck Palmatier

Reply to
George

From your exact description it seems it's one or more lifters pumping back up, especially since it goes away; but, maybe one or more lifters are actually bad.

After reading posts on many forums about the various tapping noises this is one I have summarized it:

-Tapping at startup ONLY (aka cold start knock, CSK - ie, it goes away after a while) - Lifter pump-up or carbon build-up

-Tapping all the time - carbon build-up, oil pump o-ring (there's a TSB on this), or piston slap

-Tapping (pinging) under heavy acceleration - carbon build-up, too low octane gas

Reply to
Markeau