XM module location on Colorado

Any hints where the factory XM module may be on an 04 CO? Someone is going to sell me his be we arent exactly sure where it may be. Can anyone that knows post a picture? I think on the SUVs, its behind the glovebox but dont know about trucks....

Reply to
Bruce Brownlee

It's NOT going to work! The Radio would have to be programmed to work with that XM Box, the problem is that No Dealer will program your Radio for you to allow it to work. You also can't just swap Radio's also since they are keyed to the Vin# of the truck. You can't even go to the dealer to BUY a XM Unit to plug into your truck. It's a Factory option ONLY.

On the other hand there are way to get a Aftermarket XM Tuner to connect to the factory Radio. I'm not sure yet about the Colorado, but I know that on others like the Silverado you can buy Hardware to plug into the factory Radio and like a Pioneer XM Unit, and it'll be hidden and operate just like a factory XM System would. With the bonus of using one of the newer much smaller Micro XM antenna's instead of the larger Factory antenna's. You can even paint them to match the color of your car/truck(Using a NON-Metallic paint). Which really helps to hide the antenna when you don't have a Dark grey or black car/truck.

A good place for more XM Info would be

for help.

Reply to
JBDragon

Out of curiosity, why would a dealer not do this? Are they forbidden by GM?

Reply to
Commentator

XM411 is a good location, you are right. I post there quite frequently.

It does work, I have done it with the GM bundle you talk about. The main radio 'sees' the XM tuner whenever its there, no special changes. I will have to have the VIN reprogrammed, which my dealer says he will do. Its no different than if I actually had one and they had to replace it. It will even work on the display without reprogramming the VIN in the tuner, but it shows 'locked out' or something like that.

The factory model uses the same connectors as all the other XMs, so I am going to use my micro antenna with it.

Right now my problem is I cant find the install location on my '04 trailblazer. I've had the dash all apart and not only isnt there a connector in there anywhere, I couldnt even fit this thing in there. I suspect its location is back in the rear near the amp.

Anyone know the location? I'll be stopping at the dealer tomorrow to see what they have in their manuals.....

Reply to
Bruce Brownlee

Also, you may not be able to get a module from a dealer, but Model Electronics in Ashland VA is supposedly an authorized repair facility and they told me (2 years ago, who knows now) they would sell me one for the list price. Not a deal, considering list includes antenna and wiring, but still possible.

I just went to my dealer and said "If I brought in my XM equipped vehicle and the tuner had burned up, what would you do?" They said "Send it to a repair location and get a new one." They gave me the name and the rest is history.

Its not easy, but it aint hard....

Reply to
Bruce Brownlee

I've been told it's a big deal. If you take you car in that has XM problems to be fixed, say the XM Module, they have to send the old one in to get a new one and also to get a new Code to program the Radio. If your Car didn't come with XM, then I don't even know if the Dealer would even screw with it. All I can say is good luck I hope you can get it working!!! Personally I think the Factory Radios SUCK for XM! That's why I didn't get XM when I bought my 03 Silverado. It's a Small display, and trying to read who's music is playing on that display is a Pain. It's a 1 line 8 digit scroll. It's bad enough with FM and RDS. Talking about distracting. Think a Cell phone is bad, try to read Slowly scrolling text going across the little screen. The screen is fine for showing channel numbers, but anything else and it's a big joke! If you want a GOOD Radio Display on a Factory GM Radio then you'll have to get one of the Radio/XM/Navigation Units! Made by Delphi, who by the way wake the Skyfi! Then there's only numbers 1 though

6 so you can't just enter a Number like 150 and jump to that channel. Lastly If I want to hear XM more places then just my truck I'd have to get at least 1 more Subscription. So I have the Skyfi. It's 5 Lines down and I can see the whole name at once. Or at least to XM's Limit of 16 Charters, No scrolling. I can scroll though the channels real easily and see what's playing on the other channels. Lots of other Pluses, and best of all, when I leave my truck, I can plug it into my Home Dock when I'm home or the Boombox when I'm at work, all with 1 Subscription!

You can see my setup here at

on my 03 Silverado. I have changed a few things since then on the setup. I have the new Blitzsafe Micro Antenna, and instead of using the wired FM Modulator, I switched over to a Direct connect. Which makes it sound as GOOD as a Factory XM Install, since there's now adapters out. It's a PAC AAI-GM24. Plugs into the 12 pin port in the back or the Radio, and gives me 2 Aux Inputs. So one is used for the Skyfi, and I have a Spare for a IPOD or whatever else I want. It also supplies a accessory output provided with R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power) Which allows my Skyfi to Power up with the Factory Radio, and stay on after I turn off the truck until I either open the Door or 10 Minutes whichever is first just like the Radio. I Rarely even touch the Factory Radio. I have Steering wheel Controls, so I use the Volume and channel control on that for the Factory Radio. I change channels on the Skyfi which is in Easy View and Reach. I have XM on 99% of the time.

Reply to
JBDragon