Yo Doc.....

Are you still running an air pump on your engine? Mine is starting to sound like the bird house at the zoo and I'm wondering if after 200k miles if its even doing anything worth replacing it for.... >=)

Reply to
CCred68046

It's didn't have it when I bought it a few years back. The mount is still there for it, but the pump and all plumbing were removed prior to my ownership. If you have smog testing in yer' area you need to keep it, as removal will automatically fail you.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

just get the no A.I.R. belt for your truck and remove the idler above the A.I.R. (depending on year)...if you don't remove the idler on an '88 or '89 truck, it'll kick the belt off about 50% of the time on a cold start. it's about 13 bucks at AZ.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

OK guys, thanks!!! I'm really not sure what the hell it does in the first place. Its not locked up or anything, bearings seem solid, I was thinking about pouring some oil into it to shut it up. I'm assuming its just a vane type air pump. Would that hurt anything? Anyone ever seen the inside of this thing?

Reply to
CCred68046

what it's supposed to do is push fresh air into the exhaust to reduce HC emmissions by burning them off. IMO, the A.I.R. pump just "reduces" HC emmissions by diluting them with fresh air.

I've never been inside of one, I have mine bypassed as it broke the upper mounting bolt (Gr 8 last time) for the 3rd time and I got really tired of fixing it. the way they're mounted on the early TBI motors is just horrible, long bolts run through the pump and mount the back of the pump to the engine..... it creates tons of lateral stress on the bolts and has caused the 3 bolts to break all where the threads start on the bolt.

I'd just get the no A.I.R. belt and be done with it.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

===================== Actually they work *very* well, they burn the HC in the manifolds/exhaust by giving it fresh oxygen.