limited slip diff Q

I have always been told and been under the impression that if you had an open rear end in your truck and you had the rear wheels off the ground if you spin a tire by hand the other will turn in an opposite direction. If you had a posi or limited slip of some kind both tires would turn in the same direction. Is this true?? I tested it with my Tj with trac loc and sure enough both turn the same way, open the rear to change fluid clutches ok In the 99 tahoe the tires turn opposite.... Ihave my window sticker I paid for limited slip. Open the cover to change fluid... see clutch packs, looks like a posi. There is no tag for modifier or anything on the cover, I am the origional owner. Is it wrong about the tire rotation, or am I missing something?? any ideas?? advice Thanks all

__________________ Tony V

98 Tahoe Sport z71 03 Wrangler lifted
Reply to
Rokihora

What you said sounds pretty good. But if your clutch pack is worn out then the wheels will spin opposite directions again as if it were an open diff.

Reply to
fletcher

I don't think you bought a limited slip/posi. There is a difference between a limited slip/posi and a locker. Check your glove box for code G80 this is the locking rear end code. Search this site there are tons of posts on this subject.

Reply to
calhoun

Yes, depending on the actual type of posi-traction unit. No, depending on the actual type of posi-traction unit.

Your 99 Tahoe has a governor controlled posi-traction unit, it does NOT engage as a posi until there is suffient difference between the rear wheel speeds. The Gov-Loc posi's do not require a friction modifier to be added to the gear lube but using a synthetic and changing it at regular intervals (20K-25K miles) would be a wise thing to do (I consider these units to be quite fragile).

Jack it up in back again, put the transmission in neutral and give one of the rear tires a really good hard spin by hand, you should be able to make the posi engage, it may actually make a 'clunk' when it does.

When it blows up, replace it with an Eaton unit (HD) or an Auburn (MD).

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I have the g80 code in the glove box, it is also on my window sticker (origional owner) I have pics of it as well when I had the cover off. still curious help Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

I forget what you want to know. G80 is the a locker made by Eaton it is engaged/disengaged by centrifugal weights. The Eaton site explains it all. To test, pull up to a strong wall, jack one rear tire off the ground, put in drive, brake off, may need slight acceleration. Truck should try to go forward and the wheel in the air should not spin.

Reply to
calhoun