Running on Air

Came across this advertised in a magazine

Claims to reduce fuel consumption by 20% or so. Anyone tried one?

Liam

Reply to
Liam

Lots of stuff on their website, but virtually no information about what it actually is!

If it works (which I doubt enormously) it would pay for itself in weeks for me. So I'm tempted to have a go at it on the Volvo - I have quite good reference data for current consumption - a virtually constant 31mpg.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

"Liam" wrote in news:QQ9bd.70425 $ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Having read the "technical" section and its patent-speak wording, it appears that all it does is lean the fuel mixture out at part throttle. This will improve fuel consumption but if not correctly done can do some serious damage to your engine eg melted pistons.

Also I'm not convinced that it will work on all fuel injected engines. They mention that it will work with Mass Airflow (MAF) systems which is correct but with a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) system it is highly unlikely to work and will probably increase fuel consumption as the fuel injection ECU will "see" a higher load than expected and inject more fuel.

If you've got a carburettor engine then just loosen the inlet manifold nuts by an equal amount to introduce an air leak, it'll have just the same effect but at zero cost.

Regards

Phil Gardiner

Don't forget to check out the alt.fan.landrover FAQ @

Phil Gardiner

On or around 13 Oct 2004 19:28:46 GMT, Phil Gardiner enlightened us thusly:

Also, most modern systems use closed loop with a lambda sensor, so allowing more air in will result in it seeing the exhaust looking too "lean" and dumping more fuel in accordingly.

sounds like the "extra air valve" that ancient engines used to have in the days when they didn't have anything much in the way of a carburettor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles