1996 Grand Voyager shut off @ stoplight, now runs really shaky-HELP!

was at a stoplight 2 weeks ago when my van shut off for no reason. Was running fine before this. Couldn't get it to start at first, but after letting it set awhile it started but now it runs really shaky, especially when you press the gas pedal. Replaced the spark plugs but nothing new. Has shut off one time since then while I was trying to get it to a shop (who was NO help). Of course, about 5 minutes before this happened I had just filled the gas tank!

Reply to
angel_27

How many miles on this engine? What is the maintainence history like?

Has the check engine light come on?

If it is really shaky but not making any noise try disconnecting the plugs one at a time. Each time you disconnect one the engine should either die or get a lot more shaky. If you disconnect one and the engine isn't any worse, then that cylinder isn't firing. Do a compression test or cylinder leakdown test on that cylinder.

However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but generally an ignition miss on a single cylinder won't make it shake really badly. What generally makes them shake badly is an internal failure like a rod bearing. And those happen without warning all sudden-like.

If it is really shaky and making a strady knocking when it is running like someone is pounding on the engine with a ball peen hammer, then it's most likely thrown a rod.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

This van has about 103,000 miles. It has a very good maintenence history-it's been very well kept up. As far as the check engine light, it didn't come on until the van shut off the first time. I've taken it to 2 shops to run a diagnostic, and both times they said it was the coil driver unit, but when that part was replaced(they actually replaced the ignition coils-don't know if it's the same thing), it didn't correct the problem. The van isn't making any noise, it's just really shaky. I'll try disconnecting the spark plugs.

Reply to
angel_27

Oh, I forgot to mention that after the van shut off I checked the oil and it was below the minimum level, but it still had some oil on the dipstick. After I added oil and tried to start the van a few times, then let it sit awhile, that's when it started up. I called an auto parts store to ask them about it and they said as long as there was some oil in it then that's not what the problem is.

Reply to
angel_27