'96 Plymouth Voyager stalling

I have a '96 Plymouth Voyager - 3.0 engine.It misses often during acceleration and stalls occasionally while travelling at highway speed. After waiting 15 minutes to an hour it will start again and run. Often it will run for several weeks before it fails again.

I seems to me that it is starving for fuel - with little or no pressure on the gas pedal it will continue to run. If I press down on the gas pedal it will stall. This seems to happen when the gas tank is half full or less.

This started about this time last year. The last time it was in the service station for this problem was May and it has run through the summer with some mis-firing but no stalling.

I have told the mechanics that I thought it was a fuel problem, but they always put it on their computer which indicates to them that it is an ignition problem.

After 3 times in the garage trying to resolve this problem the following has been done:

- several time nothing - the van runs fine and they found nothing to fix.

- replaced spark plugs - fuel filters - distributer cap (twice) - spark plug wires - injectors cleaned.

A Chrysler mechanic said that it may be that because I am using shell fuel that this has gummed up the fuel pump - a problem that Shell admits can happen but not on this particular vehicle.

At this point I am about to have the fuel pump changed as nothing else that has been done has solved the problem.

Any suggestion?

Reply to
Joust

There's several tests that can be used to determine if the fuel pump is indeed faulty, from pressure tests to examining the wave form on its power circuit. Find someone who knows what these tests are and have them performed before you throw more good money after bad.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff