1997 Sebring Convertible fires, won't start

Hi All! I'm hoping someone out there can come to our rescue! My '97 Sebring had been performing flawlessly until the other night when it was run in idle until bone dry on gas until it quit... (Don't ask, stupid human trick. :)) Even after putting some gas in it, is cranking, occasionally fires, but won't stay running for more than a few seconds. I'm assuming since the "Service Engine Soon" light is staying on, it means that the computer thinks something is wrong. Is there anything that can be done to fool the computer into allowing the engine to run?

I'm looking forward to your responses via email!

Thanks!

Radi snipped-for-privacy@si-star.com

Reply to
Randy Shore

No.

You might've fried the fuel pump. You could check by attaching a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail. More likely possibility? You might've sucked up some gunk or maybe water from the bottom of the tank, and now you have a clogged fuel filter or a fuel system full of water.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

How do you get a car that is completely out of gas to the gas station to fill the tank?

I bet you dumped in a gallon from one of those $2.99 plastic gas cans, eh? That's not nearly enough. Try 4 to 5 gallons and I bet it starts up and runs fine.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks Geoff... I was fortunate that after disconnecting the battery for 30 secs to "reset" things, the engine roared to life on the next attempt to start it.

Reply to
Randy Shore

Thanks Ted. You're right about the 2 gals in the gas can. :) Anyway, as it turns out someone else suggested simply disconnecting the battery and reconnecting... Sure enough, that did the trick and it roared to life on the next restart and went directly to the gas station to get filled with 13 gals. :)

Reply to
Randy Shore