2000 Caravan SES light on

Hi, just pulled the code from this vehicle, 2000 Gr. Caravan 3.8L 4spd auto148Km, and it comes out as P0401(Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected). Wondering if anyone knows of any specific issues or parts I should look at or test before replacing parts. Engine runs fine, had a slight hiccup when idling last 5 days before light came on. I was waiting for the light to see what code would show up.

Thanks,

Reply to
Mike Bowden

This is what I got from obd-codes.com, looks like a new egr valve... after I test it. would any one know where the DPF sensor is and can it be tested?

P0401 OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Insufficient EGR Flow

What does that mean? EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the vehicle emmissions system, and is used to reduce combustion temperature and pressure to control Oxides of Nitrogen. There are generally three parts to the EGR system: the EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a differential pressure sensor (DPF). These things work together to deliver the correct amount of recirculation based on engine temperature, load, etc. The P0401 code means that OBD detected an insufficient amount of EGR.

Symptoms You may notice drivability problems such as pinging (a.k.a. pre-ignition knock) when the engine is under load or the vehicle is at higher speeds. There may also be other symptoms.

Causes A code P0401 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:

a.. The DPF (differential pressure) sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced b.. There is a blockage in the EGR (most likely carbon buildup) c.. The EGR valve is faulty d.. The EGR valve may not be opening due to a lack of vaccuum Possible Solutions In fixing this code, it is quite common for people to just replace the EGR valve only to have the OBD code return. The EGR valve is not always the culprit.

Reply to
Mike Bowden

Assuming the vacuum hose isn't broken at the valve, replace the valve with a MOPAR part. It comes with transducer and all

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks maxpower, its pouring rain right now so I guess it's a trip to my local dealer tomorrow for parts, what about this differential pressure sensor, is that the transducer you mention.?

Reply to
Mike Bowden

That would be the pressure transducer that comes with the EGR valve assuming you buy it from MOPAR

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname