Check Engine Light on 2000 Accord LX

Hello. Recently while driving my check engine light came on in my Accord. The car was running fine on the freeway until I stopped when getting off, at the off ramp. I noticed the car was idling a bit low, around 500-600 RPMs. This had happened to me before and I believe I just added some fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank and it cleared up this issue. I tried this method again and after half a gas tank with the cleaner it has gotten a bit better but the light is still on. I tried to take the car to Autozone to get the code read but apparently they no longer do it for free and neither does Pepboys. I was wondering what is the cheapest, reliable OBD II reader I can buy? or if you guys may be able to help with that the problem may be.

I'm not much of a car expert. Recently my brother gave my car a tune up, replacing the spark plugs, wires, and cap. One thing I do remember that may be an issue is that I had to drive pretty much close to empty on gas on a long stretch of highway recently, could that have affected anything with the dirt and misc stuff at the bottom of a gas tank?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thank you.

Reply to
allenvillegas

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:03c0c991- snipped-for-privacy@z16g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

If all you need is to read alphanumeric the code and nothing else, any cheap reader available off-the-shelf at AutoZone or Pep Boys is just fine.

What state are you in? CA has for many years now effectively prohibited auto parts places from reading the codes for you for free.

Absolutely no way of knowing where to start without knowing the alphanumeric code.

Unlikely. Chances are excellent that there is just about zero dirt or anything else in your tank except gasoline.

Once you get the code(s) read, DO NOT report the text description that accompanies the code number. You need the code number only. It will take the form of "Pxxx", where the x-es are numbers.

Reply to
Tegger

1-

Thanks for your help Tegger.

I actually asked a friend if I could use his but he is out of town, I'm thinking of just buying one since I have needed it a few times already. So I'll either wait for him or just buy my own since it would cost the same or even more to get it read at a shop.

Reply to
allenvillegas

"asadi" wrote in news:VEAJl.28642 $ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:

Personally, I think it's the environut lobby combined with the auto repair lobby.

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger"

What is the logic behind that?...other than the automotive lobby?

John

Reply to
asadi

Ok so I ran the scanner and came up with the error code

P1491. EGR Valve Lift Insufficient Detected

I noticed the car has been running better and not having such a low idle, but still it's a little bit less than normal. Any ideas on what I would have to do? Repace the EGR? Clean it up?

Reply to
allenvillegas

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a5g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

Is this a V6? If so, see TSB 99-085.

You need perform the procedures that are extensively outlined in that TSB.

There was also an EGR warranty extension on certain '99-'01 Accord V6s (all of '00). The warranty was extended to 8 years (from date of original sale) or 80K miles, whichever came first.

Reply to
Tegger