2001 Chrysler Sebring

My son bought a used Sebring with 100,000 miles three months ago. He tells me that when he tries to accelerate (25 mph to 35 mph) the engine whines but the car does not gain much speed. The transmission is filled with fluid. Assuming the transmission is failing and we can't afford to buy another car, what are my likely options? Any ideas what a re-built transmission for this car would cost? Thanks!

Reply to
Even Stephen

Two options. Fix it or walk.

At that age with 100k the car is worth having repaired (unless it showing signs of abuse). The trick is finding a good shop to fix it. Generally good advice to stay away from the chain shops and find a good independent. I would expect between 1k and 2k depending on your part of the country and what actually turns out to be wrong with the trans (hard parts raise the price).

You could always get lucky and just have an electrical problem! Definitely have it checked out and post back the results you get from the test. Lots of folks here can give good info once they have something to work with.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

...thanks! I've seen Sebrings and other similar cars do 160,000 miles, so I too think it is worth fixing. The rest of the car is solid. My other son did over 160,000 on one of his 4 cyl. used cars. I've seen internet posts that say the Sebring transmission is prone to an electrical problem and some transmission control problems. I'll post the final verdict.

Reply to
Even Stephen

No doubt the same input and output sensor failures that occasionally happen (at the rate of about one every 50 to 100k miles) on all the Chrysler electronic trannies. The sensors cost under $20 each and take about 15 minutes to replace.

Bill Putney

Bill

Does this apply to my Chrysler LHS?

Bob AZ