2001 Concorde whistles at 60 mph

In near-cold temperatures, (30- 40) here in the south, and through fog banks, sometimes, I hear a loud whistle coming from engine compartment. Constant pitch. Goes up 2 notes at 70.

Car passing from opp direction will cause it to weaken, temporarily.

Is speed-related, not rpm-related.

Used to have this problem with two K-cars.

What's causing it?

-LB

Reply to
LB

That noise is typical of the LH cars if the window glass is loose in the tracks. Recently my '99 Concorde was making a whistling noise that I couldn't pinpoint (high frequency sounds are hard for the human ear to determine direction on). A few days later the window glass came out of and bound up in the track due to a slight misadjustment of the regulator arm (inside the door). If you think I'm on to something, pull the door panel and look at the regulator arm vertically-slotted screw hole. If the screw is not bottomed into the slot, make sure the glass is in the track and loosen that screw, push the arm downward, and tighten the screw to secure it at the bottom of the slot.

You might also check into TSB No. 23-07-00 ("Wind noise heard in interior"). It only is supposed to apply to '99 & '00, but it wouldn't be the first time a TSB should have applied to a broader range than what they claim.

Not saying that the above will nail it, but maybe...

Bill Putney

. Recently my '99 Concorde was making a whistling noise that I

Point of order here: sure you don't mean "low frequency sounds are hard for the human ear to ..."

?

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

I was thinking of the whistling noise as being a relatively high frequency. I just know that when mine was "whistling", and when I had a high-pitched whistling noise from the brake booster on an unrelated problem, it was hard to tell direction of the source of noise. Maybe that isn't generally true.

Bill Putney

After your e-mail, I thought of another likely possibility: Though I haven't had the problem on my Concorde, the LH cars have a big problem with the door gaskets shrinking and pulling away at the corners of the body leaving an air gap between the door frame and the body when the door is closed. Discussed a lot on the 300M Enthusiasts forums:

- look at the "Black Trim and Weatherstripping" forum. Look there for more insight and solutions. Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my adddress with the letter 'x')

Reply to
Bill Putney

Yep, this happened to me. The driver's side rear door shrunk on my '98, and it whistled something awful. If you want to try it, I had good luck re-stretching the gasket and then using a 3M adhesive product especially designed for door seals. The repair has held for several years now.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff