2002 Dodge Caravan SE brakes noise

Hello all,

Is it normal that my van is starting to sqeak out noises from the rear drum brakes? I have 39 000 km so far. Do I need to replace them so soon?

Thanks

Reply to
sunny

damnnickname

"sunny" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote

The guide rails that the pads ride in have gotten corroded. Remove calipers and pads. Scrape rails clean. Apply a thin coat of brake lubricant(not regular grease) to the rails. Reassemble.

You may (or may not) need to replace the pads, but you can only tell by looking and seeing if they are worn.

Reply to
StevJensen

StevJensen;

Rear brakes. Drums. No pads, Shoes. No rails, pivot points.

Rear brakes are probably in need of service and adjustment, or are glazed and may require replacement.

Sunny, do you "ride" the brakes?

StevJensen wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Mike Behnke snipped-for-privacy@fnal.gov wrote

Really?? Drums *only* is an option on SE?? Mine has a drum & shoes, but it is only for the parking brake. NOT the main brake system which is disk and pads. Incidentally, I have had to fix this problem twice.

Reply to
StevJensen

Rear drums brakes on the Se as an option? I don't think so. Instead they are standard equipment on the SE. At least that's what my SE has and it's what the factory tech manual says....

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Doug snipped-for-privacy@pipeline.com wrote

I did not remember 4-wheel disks as being an option. Looking in the book, I got the 4-wheel disks with the AWD. They are not an option when you get the AWD setup. It seems you have to have the "Sport" or above to get the

4-wheel disks otherwise.

My bad.

Reply to
StevJensen